Payment received in PayPal and the person askes for refund immediately....

gamar3
Contributor
Contributor

This is very bizarre ... I just received a payment from a random person... and he immediately asked for refund, claiming is was by mistake. This seems like scam... but the only way I can think of is: maybe payment was made with stolen cc? No idea... Will keep the funds till PayPal requests refund to original owner. Did anybody see this before?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gamar3 

Easy enough mistake, when someone sends a payment if they make a typo then it may go to the wrong account if that typo changes the email address to the one you own.

Click on the transaction and see if a 'fee' was involved, if not then just refund it.

If a fee was involved then tell them you will do a part refund minus the fee as it was their mistake and fees are not returned as part of any refund that is made.

If you wait for them to dispute it with paypal you may end up having to refund and pay the fee yourself.

Just make sure you use the REFUND and not send money option. Refund is located on the transaction details of the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

gamar3
Contributor
Contributor

Should be interesting to see what happens. In my entire time (a long time) of using PayPal, I never received a wrong payment... For the small fee I am willing to see what happens. Not a lot of money anyway. 

I can see if the payment was done using a stolen cc, the actual person will see it in the statement and ask the bank to get the money back (and they will) ... so I if refund now... and then 1 month later, I pay from my pocket double? 

Not sure if I want to refund... just yet.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gamar3 

ok, may be very unfair on the sender but you're call.

Just remember disputes etc are not good to have on an account and you may end up with a fee as well.

I have had this is the past and just refunded. Sender was very grateful as it was a payment to their son in college.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

BUZZYBEE-1
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I am currently going through. I sent a payment to someone whom I already had a transaction with and he is refusing to return the money saying PayPal has it. why will you even assume that it's fraud? PayPal is a safe place and fraudulent activity will be flagged, show some empathy, and return the money.

Login to Me Too

gamar3
Contributor
Contributor

Guys... I will return the money... it's a small amount as I said. The communication from the sender was very sketchy, in an English that dose not sound like English and it was instant... Like I received the payment and 10 seconds later the message... which is strange to me. 

Since PayPal is such "a safe place", I am sure the sender can request the money back via PayPal channels and I will say 100% yes. I do not need convincing. 

Just I have been dealing with PayPal scam (in all it's forms) for a while (almost 15 years of being with PayPal) and this is new... So, it does not matter if this money is for the bus ticket home and the only money... I will give it back if the sender takes action via regular PayPal channels. I just know other people who did the same and paid twice... and this why I asked here. I wanted to see if someone had some experience with this "potential" scam. 

When I sold stuff and SO MANY buyers claimed their money back via the bank/credit card and PayPal said sure without even asking me ... I was left without products and without money... I did not complain. 

I was looking for similar experience or possible scam scenario. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gamar3 

If the sender requested the money back via paypal channels he would have to open a dispute as I have already said.

Then you would pay the fee and have a dispute on your account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

gamar3
Contributor
Contributor

@BUZZYBEE-1 I am pretty sure you had some proper communication with the receiver and he/she is just bad intentioned... Go through normal PayPal channels and request money back. Open a ticket on the transaction and ask for assistance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.