How long does it take for immediate access to payments?

businessowner12
New Community Member

How long will it take for PayPal to consider me trustworthy enough to stop placing holds?

I understand holds, I know the FAQ answers, and I get the terms and conditions. I know the "here's how you can get payments faster" bit. My question is how long it takes for a new business account to stop experiencing so many holds? (Or any?) I perform a service for my clients - a service that was already performed by the time I send an invoice - and I don't generally offer refunds to clients. But even when I use the "hours" form PayPal still seems oriented toward shipping statuses...I can't print labels or ship anything, but either way it seems sketchy PayPal can keep my income from me for as long as they do.  I need $1000 for rent this month and I'm not going to have it, even though I earned it like 3 weeks ago because PayPal just decided that I don't get to have it until they're good and ready? I know it will be released after 21 days but that's an accounting nightmare, because I'll need to report everything weird in a quarterly tax/business valuation based on when they money is earned and not paid, and now everything I do will have a 1-month lag?? ....I need to decide whether PayPal is the right solution for me long term.  How long do I need to use my account before the holds stop (if I invoice 20 - 30+ times per month)? PayPal is pretty nebulous about this information and I spent like 30+ minutes trying to get any guidance from support; I tried chatting with them and they just repeated the FAQ answers to me, and now I've called them and been on hold in the time it took me to write this. I know PayPal is supposed to be reputable but this honestly feels like red-flag behavior. Is it reasonable that I'd expect holds to stop after 2 months? 6 months? 2 years? What is a "new" business for them?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@businessowner12 

They stop the holds when they feel you have built up a reasonable seller reputation dependent on any disputes/claims opened against you and how many transactions you have done. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.