How do i find out who is trying to charge my account?

Lauracarlene
New Community Member

I keep getting an email saying a payment was declined due to insufficient funds. How do i find out who is trying to charge my account? I have no payments due and no open subscriptions.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Lauracarlene 

Welcome to the PayPal Community and thanks for your post!

I understand your concern about receiving an email about declined payment due to insufficient funds. Have you made any payments using your bank account? If a payment was paid using a bank, payment to your seller completes instantly because PayPal fund this on your behalf and wait for a bank transaction to clear. If the bank declines the payment due to insufficient funds. PayPal will send an email to let you know that the bank account you used for your payment has insufficient funds. PayPal will make a second attempt to request the funds from your bank account and if the funds aren't available from your bank, PayPal will try to debit from your backup funding source. Your account may go in negative if no funds received from your bank/back up funding source. 

I suggest you to review the details of the payment in the email you received. You can match the details of the payment listed in the email with your PayPal activity. If you don't see any similar amounts or unsure about the validity of the email, please don't click on any links listed in the email and forward it to [removed] to investigate it further. You can learn more about spotting a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website in this article : How do I spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

Hope this information helps you,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Temp20230730x
Contributor
Contributor
There’s no details in the email. It just says what card was declined.
Login to Me Too

ammpmediagroup
New Community Member

Did you ever get this resolved? I have been receiving the same message the past two weeks with no response. I HATE the fact that it doesn't show you who's trying to charge you, completely inconvenient even though ironically they say it's for our convenience.

Login to Me Too

Temp20240109Y
I’ve had this happen when I’ve tried to purchase something using a credit card through PayPal. I’ve learned that it is your credit card company who sends that message when it suspects a fraud on your account and is declining your purchase. It’s actually for your protection.
Login to Me Too

Kford4
New Community Member
It's not listed in the history bc it was declined. I'm having the same problem. I need to cancel whatever unknown, forgotten service I must have signed up for but i am unable to find the vendor responsible for attempted, declined charges that I keep getting notifications about.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Kford4 and everyone, 

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear there's some confusion on recent attempted transactions. First, I'd recommend changing your password and security questions. If you see a charge or even a payment attempt you don't recognize, updating your password and security questions is normally the safest step to take. 

Next, I'd recommend checking your Billing Agreements and Subscriptions to see if there's anything out of date there or anything you don't recognize. 

Finally, after everything looks good there. You'll want to check the notification you received to see if it's actually from PayPal. Here's an article with some great info on How to check if an email is from PayPal. 

I hope those help. Please feel welcome to reach out to our Customer Support if you need to. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Temp20240106D
Contributor
Contributor
Wow, it's almost as if you went out of your way to not help. Clearly there is no information there for him to find or her. I am the same situation keep getting a decline payment notification but there is no declined payment under my transaction history so where the hell is it?
Login to Me Too

zacca811
New Community Member

Why can no one from Paypal seem to answer this question? I have had numerous emails from Paypal telling me that I have insufficient funds for a transaction that I know I haven't tried to complete. So who is it and why is there nowhere on Paypal's site to figure this out. Thinking of getting rid of Paypal altogether.

Login to Me Too

QuietOwl83
Contributor
Contributor
Here too!! Seems like some fishy operation trying to phish a large amount of funds from my PayPal with no luck. I think it's important to be able to show who was declined for our security rather than not for convenience.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.