How do I disable PayPal’s Currency Conversion

hriditr
New Community Member

This is total ..

I haven't used paypal for a while and just saw that a purchase in USD will cost me with my bank course some sum in my currency 

With Paypal conversion which decided USD -> EUR ... and the bank EUR -> BGN it's 7,5% (yes seven and a half % more expensive).

Won't use you any more

If somewhere was stated that conversion will be made I woudn't do it... but till the pay button it always said the sum in USD. This is misleading!!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

TrankiCDMX
Contributor
Contributor

This option is no longer offered, this is where the problem is.

Login to Me Too

TrankiCDMX
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. When making a purchase from a business in Mexico, using my US-based PayPal for payment, PayPal forces its conversion rates and doesn't provide an option, as it used to, to have my US credit card billed in Mexican pesos.

I prefer to have the charge posted to my credit card in the local currency and NOT to be forced to use he PayPal conversion rates. Is this the new policy? If not, please advice how I can change the way PayPal processes my payment, to make sure the local currency is used.

Login to Me Too

Hzoltan969
New Community Member

I have the same problem. PayPal conversion rate is significantly worse than my bank's rate. I used to be able to decide which conversion I want to use, now I can no longer do it (or at least not in all cases).

Is there a solution to this? I like PayPal as it is really convenient to use. Not having to type in all the necessary data like for card payment is great, however, with the extra cost it isn't worth it anymore... 😞

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @TrankiCDMX and @Hzoltan969

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. I can understand how concerning it can be when sending and receiving funds when currency conversions are involved. I was able to do a bit deep diving on this topic, and I think I have some good news. I found the option to send a payment in a different currency funded by a debit or credit card, and have it converted through the debit or credit card is still an option when available. You can read more about it in a Help Center article here: How do I send a payment in another currency?

I would still recommend reviewing any applicable fees that may still be charged along side that transaction, and you may still want to consult with your bank / card company ahead of time to review any other applicable fees that may apply, but I hope that clears things up a bit for now. 

Good luck on this and your future transactions through PayPal, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.