Why is it when I report a scammer after "review", response is "not a violation of TOS"?

Bye_PlayFoul
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone know if there are actually reviews? Because several times I got robbed. And when reported was told that the investigation was complete that they found that the seller hadn't violated the terms of service. And if that's the case, shouldn't "ripping people off" be added to the TOS? Instead sends 1) a message to these **bleep** that its okay to rob folks. 2) tells us victims that they don't give a damn. 3) Isn't that aiding and abetting? Federal law? Making Paypal an accomplice and as guilty as the criminal? Anyone else wonder if this is a huge scam and no one is here and this experiment is a test of AI technology? They want to see if a business can run entirely without soul and humans? I'm seeing a complaint less than every 4 minutes. Thats bad right?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bye_PlayFoul 

How were you robbed exactly? Fake tracking numbers, sending not as described items, empty box shipped to near by address? “Rip offs” can be dealt with through the PayPal dispute process or chargebacks. Not necessarily appropriate to report as a Acceptable Use Policy violation compared to what’s listed in AUP, I guess. If seller gets too many disputes, PayPal in their sole discretion takes action.

Always do a quick web search on the merchant site name before buying. That often does more to help in determining whether a site is trust worthy if it pulls up scam site reports, reviews or “is it legit or not” page results. Also avoid merchants, retailer names with gibberish, grammatical error’ed, nonsensical names that you can’t even pronounce.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bye_PlayFoul 

How were you robbed exactly? Fake tracking numbers, sending not as described items, empty box shipped to near by address? “Rip offs” can be dealt with through the PayPal dispute process or chargebacks. Not necessarily appropriate to report as a Acceptable Use Policy violation compared to what’s listed in AUP, I guess. If seller gets too many disputes, PayPal in their sole discretion takes action.

Always do a quick web search on the merchant site name before buying. That often does more to help in determining whether a site is trust worthy if it pulls up scam site reports, reviews or “is it legit or not” page results. Also avoid merchants, retailer names with gibberish, grammatical error’ed, nonsensical names that you can’t even pronounce.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Bye_PlayFoul
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't say solved. I went through the dispute process, it wasn't really a process, I complained, they said tough luck. I was robbed, not by merchants, but individuals... I know I know, that hardly constitutes much action but I'm not looking for my money back.. Sure it would be nice, but if I can prove there was a transaction and the seller did not do as agreed upon. Something, or anything, should be done. For instance, close their account. But to hear back that I can just bite it, is not acceptable.

Login to Me Too

Bye_PlayFoul
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, you are a terrific writer.  I just re-read your response. I still don't see how that's a solution. You spoke of ways to determine which vendors, businesses could be vetted and chosen to avoid being preyed on. Very good advice. And you said that Conflict Resolution is in place for that. But I went to conflict resolution and simply nothing back. If it's impossible to come up with a way to resolve these issues, that's the way it goes. But I know several people who were shut down being accused of what I'm accusing others. Yet they were innocent, so as far as I 'm concerned there is a problem here that needs to be looked into further. Because honestly it's a playground for people to take advantage of **bleep** like me.  I don't know. PayPal should take some kind of initiative and back the good guys.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.