Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does PayPal facilitate fraud?

Options
joshw4288
Contributor
Posted on

I've used PayPal for a long time and always assumed I would have buyer protection if something unlikely happened. The first time (September 2021) I filed a claim, I was denied. I purchased an item online and on what appeared to be a legitimate website that offered purchasing through PayPal. I thought that given they offered PayPal they couldn't be fraudulent since PayPal offers buyer protection. What reason would a scammer have for using a service that protects buyers? PayPal facilitated the fraud. I bought the item, never received it, never received tracking from the seller despite repeated attempted contact and, eventually, the website I purchased from disappeared. I filed a claim. The seller (from China) provided a tracking number for a package that couldn't possibly be mine given a) it came from Stockton, CA (not China) and b) the weight of the package was over 30 pounds (not the 2-3 pounds mine would have been). PayPal denied my claim because some random package with some random tracking number was delivered to some random address in my same city. PayPal didn't give a **bleep** despite me providing information confirming this. I wish I had used my credit card, which would have given me far more protection than the fraud facilitators at PayPal. Lesson learned. I will not use PayPal for purchases moving forward. They are not safe and do not give one **bleep** about investigating fraud. All this event taught me is how easy it is to defraud customers through PayPal. All you have to do is scrape tracking numbers OR mail a **bleep** envelope with tracking to a random address in the same city as your buyer and PayPal will eat that **bleep** up and you, with the help of PayPal, can defraud buyers to your hearts content. PayPal IS the scam. Just here to warn others--PayPal does not give a **bleep** about you and will not honor their buyers protection. They refuse to even ban the account that is currently still defrauding people with the assistance of PayPal.  

3 REPLIES 3

Options
sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor

@joshw4288 

Bad actors read how the protection program works and find work arounds. Tracking services api do not track or display street addresses due to privacy concerns. Get an intranet report from shipping carrier or official note on letterhead that for said tracking number your address is not on the package, nor was it delivered to your said address to appeal.

Or file a complaint on bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA.

Be extra careful of who you buy from; anyone can open a shop. Do actual web research on name of site/domain name for any scam reports/domain whois info or stick to tried and true stores.

PayPal does not have any control over the products or services provided by sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method, and PayPal cannot ensure that a buyer or a seller you are dealing with will actually complete the transaction or is authorized to do so.”

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#disclaimer-warranty

You can report the account:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us?email=paypalme&locale.x=en_US

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

Options
Suzie5454
Contributor
All I know is their company will go under investigation, whoever has committed these crimes against good people will pay

Options
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@Suzie5454 

I doubt that as they are mostly in Asia.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.