What extra fees does the seller pay if I choose business transaction rather than friends & family?

Mandevilla
Contributor
Contributor

I am buying an item from a private seller, but I don't have internet banking, so I have asked to pay via PayPal.  Seller is happy for me to do this, but doesn't want to lose money by paying fees for a commercial transaction.  If the original amount is £65, how much extra should I add on top so that the buyer still ends up receiving £65 after the fees are taken off?  I've read through the 'fees' page but find it totally confusing.  And obviously, I don't want to pay via the Friends and Family option because I then have no protection if the seller decides not to post my item.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mandevilla 

> I have asked to pay via PayPal.  Seller is happy for me to do this, but doesn't want to lose money by paying fees for a commercial transaction.

Then the seller should do you the courtesy of figuring it out and work the fee into their pricing without having to go through the uncomfortable “song and dance” over the fees.

Lame seller.

If seller is based within the UK, the commercial fee rate is 2.9% + GBP 0.30. To receive £65, a payment of £67.25 should be sent. £2.25 will go to fees. That's 3.35% in fees, effectively.

If seller is based outside of the UK, then I would need to know what country the seller is in to determine the int’l commercial rate.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mandevilla 

> I have asked to pay via PayPal.  Seller is happy for me to do this, but doesn't want to lose money by paying fees for a commercial transaction.

Then the seller should do you the courtesy of figuring it out and work the fee into their pricing without having to go through the uncomfortable “song and dance” over the fees.

Lame seller.

If seller is based within the UK, the commercial fee rate is 2.9% + GBP 0.30. To receive £65, a payment of £67.25 should be sent. £2.25 will go to fees. That's 3.35% in fees, effectively.

If seller is based outside of the UK, then I would need to know what country the seller is in to determine the int’l commercial rate.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Mandevilla
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!  That is really helpful.  To be fair to the seller, it is my request that I pay via PayPal rather than another means.  I've messaged and offered the extra amount to cover their fees.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.