To what extent does PayPal help in Dispute Process?

CaMiz
Contributor
Contributor

I submitted a Dispute thru the Resolution Center on the basis that the seller was not forthcoming that returns were to go to China.  Their website said their store was in Florida. I provided Paypal dispute resolution with all the information. I did not realize PayPal only serves as a liaison between buyer and seller and does not actually review documents. So now the seller has offered to refund me my full purchase price provided I return my item back to China and if I do not respond within x days (ie accept the terms of offer) PayPal will close my file.  I feel like I am out 3 weeks.   Is this normal procedure?  I have been a customer since the 1990s and this is the first time I had to submit a dispute.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CaMiz 

These savvy sellers obviously took the time to read and really understand the workings of PayPal’s Seller and buyer protections and adjust their store policies to their advantage.

There are buyers just as crafty.

There’s a dispute phase and a claim phase to a case. You’re probably in the dispute phase where the seller responds to your complaint with an offer and you can accept or reject and escalate to a claim within 20 days.

How do I escalate a dispute to a claim?

Seller asks for return for a refund because that’s what PayPal may require you to do when you ask them to step in on a not as described claim. They rule in your favor and do a return for a refund. Seller plays right into it. 

IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to coverage for the return shipping costs that you may incur.”

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

When you need to return, PayPal can help out (up to $30) on the postage by reimbursement program (read the t&c’s and the fine print):

Can I get free shipping on a PayPal return?

Have to be careful of who you buy from. Do research on seller, item, prices before you buy so you don’t get ripped off. Stick to buying direct from brand stores/sites or reputable merchants. May cost more but at least the merch is vetted and as described. No way can PayPal control or guarantees what a random seller sell. They have so many accounts.

”PayPal does not have any control over the products or services provided by sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method, and PayPal cannot ensure that a buyer or a seller you are dealing with will actually complete the transaction or is authorized to do so.”

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#disclaimer-warranty

Buyer beware.

You may appeal the outcome or call customer service for a deeper review of the case. They just might refund you as goodwill gesture.

PayPal is third party, and cases end up as you said, they said so they have buyer return for a refund, get reimbursed and seller loses sale have to accept return, refund money. Then you got sellers not picking up the return so you can’t provide proof of delivery to get your refund.

If the PayPal dispute outcome is not suitable, then do a chargeback through your card issuer if you paid with card as their terms may be broader than PayPal’s.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CaMiz 

These savvy sellers obviously took the time to read and really understand the workings of PayPal’s Seller and buyer protections and adjust their store policies to their advantage.

There are buyers just as crafty.

There’s a dispute phase and a claim phase to a case. You’re probably in the dispute phase where the seller responds to your complaint with an offer and you can accept or reject and escalate to a claim within 20 days.

How do I escalate a dispute to a claim?

Seller asks for return for a refund because that’s what PayPal may require you to do when you ask them to step in on a not as described claim. They rule in your favor and do a return for a refund. Seller plays right into it. 

IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to coverage for the return shipping costs that you may incur.”

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

When you need to return, PayPal can help out (up to $30) on the postage by reimbursement program (read the t&c’s and the fine print):

Can I get free shipping on a PayPal return?

Have to be careful of who you buy from. Do research on seller, item, prices before you buy so you don’t get ripped off. Stick to buying direct from brand stores/sites or reputable merchants. May cost more but at least the merch is vetted and as described. No way can PayPal control or guarantees what a random seller sell. They have so many accounts.

”PayPal does not have any control over the products or services provided by sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method, and PayPal cannot ensure that a buyer or a seller you are dealing with will actually complete the transaction or is authorized to do so.”

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#disclaimer-warranty

Buyer beware.

You may appeal the outcome or call customer service for a deeper review of the case. They just might refund you as goodwill gesture.

PayPal is third party, and cases end up as you said, they said so they have buyer return for a refund, get reimbursed and seller loses sale have to accept return, refund money. Then you got sellers not picking up the return so you can’t provide proof of delivery to get your refund.

If the PayPal dispute outcome is not suitable, then do a chargeback through your card issuer if you paid with card as their terms may be broader than PayPal’s.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

CaMiz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!  Thank you for the detailed reply.  I 100% understand the "Buyer Beware" and read the Shipping/Return Policy, hence my frustration with PayPal. I took screenshots before I purchased because the online store was not one of the usual stores.  This process definitely enhanced the Buyer Beware warning for me.  I had been a PayPal user since 2007 (I realized 2007 not 1990 as I earlier posted) but never been in this situation until now but I suppose tenure does not always mean understanding/knowing the nuances of all of PayPal's programs (I know that NOW).  Thanks for explaining that as well as interactions with their CX team, I'm going to be 10000% more cautious now if I plan to continue using PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.