Scammed through Friends & Family

jforbes15
New Community Member

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

Login to Me Too
95 REPLIES 95

Hippeboy
IRecently lost 550 dollars 😞
Login to Me Too

Kathcovy
Contributor
Contributor
'silly error' ???? £241 is a silly error??? You have his PayPal account details, why not just refund it back??? I have evidence that he has not sent anything, and yes, he WAS a friend!!
Login to Me Too

bbt31
Contributor
Contributor

I experience that today. I was scammed by a seller in the Facebook marketplace.    Hassan [Removed] beware of this person.  they post a Nintendo switch lite saying it was free because it was from his/her son that passed away in an accident. he/she want to give it free so I fall for his ill-fated sad story. I did pay$35 For the shipping fee. by afternoon he/she ask for more shipping fee. I realized I was scammed. I did file a claim but the PayPal rejected it.

I am so stupid.

Login to Me Too

Samar007
Contributor
Contributor
He was selling iPhone XS 256 gb and said he will ship it. And I sent him money, but he then said made mistakes by putting 256gb instead of 512gb and was asking for $40 more and I said no. I asked for refund and then he became Facebook user ( he deleted his Facebook)
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There should be a huge warning before you click SUBMIT that payment for goods or services is not allowed and you have no protection if paying for goods or services. 

But then this way the scammers can scam and you have no recourse and PayPal makes bank. 

But — Friends & Family says what it is for...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dell14z 

When you go to send funds there are 2 boxes and on only 1 does it say buyer protection and have the buyer protection symbol.

I think the paypal.me link could be improved though as if its from a personal account the onus in on the buyer to tick the goods/services box to make it eligable for buyer protection.

I think it would be better to have a screen come up to say is this for a purchase or a gift. But then I tend to read everything very carefully before sending my well earned dosh.....!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Marlonmillie
Yes but you see they were saying no you can just get a refund once you’ve got the item you have etc send through family and friends I was trying to buy a present for someone and I’m new to PayPal and already been scammed
Login to Me Too

Hippeboy
Recently I ordered two pairs of shoes and paid the guy 550 he was rlly convincing and asked me to do it on friends n family I didn’t think anything of it ... big mistake I see now because he sent me fake tracking and then on the phone earlier admitted he never even sent my product or even had it and he finds it funny he stole my last dollar anyways all that’s going on and this guys antogonizing me for my disabilities and because he conned me and PAYPAl refuses to even try to get my money back or even get his account flagged ? WHAT THE BLEEP!? Is PayPal ran by scammers
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hippeboy 

Of course they won't help you get your money back because you sent a 'gift' of money to someone.

You didn't buy anything, if you had you would have used the goods/services option.

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.