SHAME ON PAYPAL! Scammed by Chinese Company, PayPal finds in favor of SELLER!

LeeShanklin
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered products from a company back in June.  As with all purchases through PayPal, I trust they do business with reputable companies.  I am wrong.  I have never received my products.  I filed dispute.  All through the process, they Chinese company could never provide me with a tracking number.  Next thing I know, my case is CLOSED and found in favor of the Chinese SELLER.  How?  PayPal claims they were provided a shipping label.  SO WHAT?  I can create a shipping label and never send anything.  I am trying to appeal, but after reading other posts, I don't hold out much hope.  What I won't ever do again, if this doesn't go the right way, is use PayPal.  And I will be sure to use social media to let everyone know not to use them with a false sense of security.  PayPal, you should do better.  But you would rather lose me (at least a dozen PayPal purchases a month) and other customers than lose a fraudulent scamming Chinese company that I am sure is paying you very well to help them steal from us.  Shame On You!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LeeShanklin 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Skk143
New Community Member

Agree, i have need scammed as well by Paypal seller by sending a fake parcel to some random address just to show to Paypal that they delivered. Paypal denied my case even after i showed the evidence of fraud but they only considered the delivery receipt to a random address.

Login to Me Too

LeeShanklin
Contributor
Contributor

I do check all the things you have mentioned.  This site apparently put false information on their website.  Paypal SHOULD stop business with those with such a large amount of complaints.  No matter how many times they have to do it.  My credit card is also a source of making payment.  They would have protected in me under the circumstances.  This is why I will not use PayPal unless I don't have another option.  They have already lost a HUGE amount of business from me because of their lack of protection and lack of response.  I did try the appeal process with ZERO response from them.  As far as I am concerned, they are just as guilty when they knowingly take scammed money.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LeeShanklin 

Sadly a lot of posters on here have confirmed that their credit card issuers are turning them down for sales from these China sellers as well.

Even credit cards have terms and conditions and don't cover you for everything.

When it happened to me years ago I chucked the tat in the bin and put it down to a learning curve.

That's why I post as many ways to spot them as I can on here.

Pointless banning them, they just change names and start over, best to recognise their 'type'.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.