Request to upgrade to business account payment scam

rmussetty
New Community Member
Selling an item through Facebook marketplace and via message agreed £300. The buyer asked me for my PayPal info and said they were paying through a business account and I would need to upgrade via email. The email detailed in order for me to upgrade they would need to pay £500 I would pay back the £200 before I would recieve £500. The buyer said he had made the payment of £500 and I received another email which looked like a scam saying congratulation I could upgrade and that as it was from pay pal but addressed me as dear customer and not personally addressed as per an official Pay pal email. The buyer was insisting I act quickly as they would be £500 out of pocket. A quick search flagged this was likely a scam and I confirmed I had not recieve an amount and was not proceeding with the transaction and blocked the person on Facebook. I wanted to flag in case this happens to anyone else. Thanks
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

markovich03
New Community Member

I too received this message for the buyer to settle a Gumtree purchase. The message had poor English. Checking with Paypal, it was clear that I do not need a business account to receive a payment. I told the buyer that it had to be settled in cash, and he vanished!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @rmussetty and @markovich03

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear you both received scam emails, but I'm glad to hear that you were both able to determine they were not from PayPal. When you have a few moments, please forward the emails to phishing@paypal.com so they can be reported. You can also find more information about reporting emails on our Help Center here

Have a lovely rest of your day! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.