Receiver Transaction Fee Scam

Dishwasher
New Community Member
Hello, I am currently in the process of kicking off a small business. I was offered quite a large sum of money for a product. It had to be converted as a result of the buyer being from the US while I am in the UK. The buyer has sent me a screenshot of this transaction and at the bottom it says, "Transaction pending...Receiver needs to pay $80 to complete the transaction." I am not going forward with it as I have seen this before. Is this a scam or is it true that the fee is necessary to pay separately before I can receive the payment?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Dishwasher

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community! Welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear you were notified that the recipient needs to pay an extra fee before you are able to receive the payment. If the payment is sent as a Friends & Family payment using a card, they could be required to pay a fee by PayPal. However, since they're purchasing an item, they should be using a Goods & Services transaction, which wouldn't have any fees on the buyer's side. The only fee would be your fee that enables Seller Protection, and it'll be processed by PayPal once you receive the payment. You can learn more about fees on our Help Center and Fees Page here

From what you've described, I do feel like you received a common scam email/screenshot. Please visit this article to learn more about common scams we're seeing. It's a US Help Center article, but the information applies to everyone. If they send you any emails, please forward them to the contact information listed here. You can also report them for violating the Acceptable Use Policy. 

I hope this information helps; please stay safe! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.