Potential Facebook / Paypal payment scam

digitalharland
New Community Member

I have received an email from "Supposedly Paypal"  that stated a potential "Buyer" on Facebook had paid the requested amount into my paypal account but that my account needs to be expanded and that the buyer needs to send another £300 to confirm the account expansion: the email came from- a a dubious gmail account . I assume this is a scam. Especially since the "buyer" has been messenging me asking me to prove that Paypal has said this is a scam ????

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @digitalharland

Thanks for stopping by the Community! Welcome! 

I understand you received some suspicious emails where you were advised that the buyer needs to pay additional fees. You are correct in your understanding that it is a scam. Neither you nor the buyer would have to pay upfront fees. You can learn more about common scams on our Help Center here. The article is a US Help Center article, but the information applies to everyone. I also suggest reviewing this article on how to spot and report phishing emails. 

I hope this information helps; stay safe! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @digitalharland

Thanks for stopping by the Community! Welcome! 

I understand you received some suspicious emails where you were advised that the buyer needs to pay additional fees. You are correct in your understanding that it is a scam. Neither you nor the buyer would have to pay upfront fees. You can learn more about common scams on our Help Center here. The article is a US Help Center article, but the information applies to everyone. I also suggest reviewing this article on how to spot and report phishing emails. 

I hope this information helps; stay safe! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Lizzie123456789
New Community Member
I have been scammed and the lady was also asking for money and when we said no more money
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.