Photo ID and pseudonyms

cluelessmess
New Community Member

When I made this account I signed up with a pseudonym that I intended to use for my art business, but now that paypal is asking for photo ID, I'm wondering if there is an issue with me signing up with a pseudonym, and if so, can I update my profile with my real name so it can respond to my photo ID without any issues?

Additionally, what does paypal consider as a viable photo ID? I don't have a drivers liscence, so I'm considering using my passport to upload as my photo ID, but when I went to resolve the photo ID issue the only document types to choose from are Canadian pension plan or proof of insurance with date of birth?

image down below in case you didnt understand what I was asking in that question
photo ID confusing.png

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cluelessmess 

Sorry, this not going to end well.

You won’t be able to update your account name to an entirely different entity or person’s name. PayPal, compelled by law to verify a customer’s identity to check if the account info provided at sign up is real and accurate. Otherwise, people can easily perpetuate fraud—saying they are this person but they really are not. I hope you don’t have money in the account because it’ll be stuck.

Can’t believe people think it’s a good idea to use fake name/alias name on a financial account. Do you give your bank an alias/fake name. Why would it be any different on a PayPal account. If you want to lay claim to the money/account, especially online where PayPal does not have the benefit to do business in person, real name/info must be used. If you wanted to use pseudonym/business name, should’ve opened a business account.

Upload your passport and the account will eventually be permanently limited and won’t be allowed to use PayPal again since names don’t match and you’ll have to wait 180 days to withdraw funds but then again how would you access these funds when names don’t match. That is why I said the money is stuck.

You may be able to use PayPal again by using different email, phone number, using your real name, this time (or open a business account with your alias as business name), with entirely new financial accts as the previous ones are locked up with banned account and hope the system doesn’t trace the new account back to your banned account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.