Paypal Scam transferred funds without my knowledge to an unknown Bank account

Temp20240108X
New Community Member

Someone was able to hack into my account and withdraw all of my money into an unknown bank account. I have contacted PayPal multiple times and filed many disputes that have all been unsuccessful. Somebody was able to hack into my PayPal and change my original chase account that has been linked to my account forever, and change it to a random account. They proceeded to steal all of my funds from my PayPal without my knowledge. PayPal tells me that there is no sign of “unauthorized use”. Originally PayPal support told me that the new bank account that was added had my name on it. I was told to call chase bank and confirm this, when I did chase bank told me this is not true, and I only have one bank account with my name on it. PayPal should be able to verify that this bank account is not linked to me and notice that this is a scam. This is extremely concerning because it shows that PayPal is not a safe place to keep or hold money in.

All of my friends and family have recently removed money from accounts they had with PayPal. Can anyone Help?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Narendar1
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Temp20240108X 

Thank you for contacting Community forum. I am so sorry to hear about the account details compromised and some unknown bank was added and also funds were transferred to that unknown bank. I can understand how frustrating this could be. Firstly : 

1. You will receive an email when the bank is added and confirmed. 
2. Also, transfer will take 5 business days to bank. 

If the bank is unknown on the account, we will help you to get the funds traced and also if the dispute is filed on the same, you will be notified through email about the case. You can contact us through message or call option so we can help you further with the dispute update and also help you to trace the funds. Thank you! 

Narendar1

Login to Me Too

lybee

I did not receive any email from PayPal notifying me a new account has been added. Neither the transferral activity was notified. 

Login to Me Too

DevVC
New Community Member
I had this same exact issue with a chase acct. as well. I called chase and confirmed there was no account with my name! Did PayPal ever help you ?
Login to Me Too

Joey_K
New Community Member
OMG. It happened today to me too. To a unknown citibank bank account. I wonder how they hack into it and attached the bank to my PayPal account. I'm in Singapore, which is a country where personal bank details especially were kept safe and confidential. I am having trouble contacting PayPal. I don't know where to start or how to reach out to them. I'm lost. Could someone send me their Customer service reporting email address?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Joey_K 

Welcome to the PayPal Help Community and thanks for posting here!

I understand your concern about the unauthorized activity in your PayPal account. Apologies for the inconvenience you've encountered while reaching the team. Here's how you can report the unauthorized activity in your account : How do I report an unauthorized transaction or account activity? You can find all available contact options to reach the team here : How do I contact PayPal customer service?

Hope this information helps,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

lybee

Same problem happened to me just a few days ago and I found out just today. The funny thing is I tried to transfer the money to my bank account in the past, and PayPal wouldn't let me. They kept saying there was no problem with my account, but gave me lots of trouble and prevent me from doing the transferral. So I gave up and left the money there to spend when needed. But today, I found out someone easily transfered all my money to an account with Citi Bank, which was somehow linked to my PayPal account. I never opened an account with Citi Bank. How come I can't transfer my own money to my own bank account, but someone fraudulent can???? I'm closing my PayPal account after solving this issue. 

Login to Me Too

fabioferrer
Contributor
Contributor
I am dealing with the same issue, paypal is so unsafe! I tried to link my bank account to paypal and it wouldnt let me. Someone got into my account and transfered all my money to a bank account that I do not recognize. This is unbelievable. I had call multiple times and there is still.no resolution to my case. They never sent me a confirmation email at all. What a scam paypal is. I really suggest anyone to withdraw their money out of paypal if they have any before it gets lost.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.