PayPal resolution decision made without evidence.

GaryP3
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an electrical item and used PayPal goods and services. The item didn’t work. The seller refused to refund me and in our communications via FB messenger, the seller was rude and suggested I broke the item. He then proceeded t complain against the post office. I have no idea where he got with his complaint. I submitted a dispute and explained what happened. I have screen shots of our communications. I also created 2 videos that clearly show the item not working. Because the files are too big I couldn’t upload them to support my case, but I stated that they were available. A pop up instruction stated that I might be asked for further evidence to support my claim, so I retained all my evidence. I was hoping that I could send the videos direct to a dispute handler.

PayPal advised me yesterday that they have resolved the case in the sellers favour stating that I had ‘repaired or altered it whilst in my possession’. I certainly did not and there is no evidence to base this decision on. The case has now been closed. I am furious about this decision and so I wish to appeal. However, instructions on appealing state that I choose the case, click on VIEW and then click on APPEAL. I tried to do this but there is no ‘appeal’ option to click. I messaged PayPal but no reply. I am so angry about this. The seller doesn’t give a damn, is abusive in messages yet I’m now over £200 out of pocket for something I didn’t do. Any advice is welcomed. I have no address for the seller so I can’t even use conventional UK law to seek redress.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GaryP3 

Paypal is a middleman between buyer and seller and has to make a judgement call, whoever loses is always going to be furious and think its unfair but sadly as paypal never see the item in question then they just call it as it is with evidence provided.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GaryP3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I do understand but PayPal made a decision without looking at all the evidence. I said to them that I couldn’t upload a video to support my claim. They just believed what the seller said. I had a 31 yr career with arbitration at the heart of it and it’s poor practice to make a decision without all the evidence. Challenges in law will certainly see an decision overturned and investigators called to account. I appreciate it can sometimes be difficult to arbitrate when it is one side saying one thing and the other saying something else, but the seller provided no evidence. I couldn’t provide my evidence because a video (very short recording) was too large to upload. No one bothered to ask to see it despite offering it. I’m not furious just because I lost, I’m furious because they came to the decision ‘without the evidence’. Why on earth would I use PayPal going forward? There seems to be very little protection for the buyer, if my experience is anything to go by. Regards, GaryP3

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.