PayPal has deactivated my account and is not responding to my complaint

GaborSt
New Community Member

Hi,

I am Gabor, a journalist from Hungary/Norway, and PayPal recently deactivated my account.

I am quite sure that some algorithm made a well-intentioned mistake and I would like to get my account reactivated. Please don't write "there is nothing that can be done now", I have read stories of users who have succeeded and I would like to believe that my story could end the same way. 🙂

The deactivation was preceded by PayPal limiting my account and asking me to upload some documents. I did that, and right after that the deactivation came with the explanation that "after a review, we found unusual activity on this account that we can't support". There was no activity at all on my account for a month before the deactivation, so I would rather look for the reason in the uploaded documents. I was born in Hungary, but have been living in Norway with my family for years. However, I am not a Norwegian citizen yet, so I could only scan and send my Hungarian passport. I think this might have caused the mistake and made PayPal think I was using the service from the wrong country. But it's very easy to prove that I'm an immigrant, I can even get a certificate from the Norwegian immigration office. I am willing to give any information, document or proof PayPal need and I will cooperate in any way I can.

Just a few words about my activity: I used my account for my hobby in a completely legal way. I have a small podcast, for which I started a Patreon page, and I transferred the money I made via PayPal. That’s it, I have never sold anything via PayPal, I have never done anything illegal. And I desperately need a PayPal account, because that's the only way to transfer money from Patreon (or Payoneer, but I don't read good things about that service, and I have been a very satisfied PayPal user for years).

I wrote my arguments to the complaint email address that was in the last message I got from PayPal (deactivationqueries at PayPal), but I did not get an answer in 10 days. Do you have any suggestions how else I can approach PayPal in this special case? For example, it would be nice to talk about my case with a human who have deeper information about deactivations (so far I could only talk with someone who knew nothing more than what I received in the mail).

Thanks for all your help,

Gabor

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.