PayPal charged more than my actual transaction amount from online retailer?

everson38
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I recently purchased some car parts via online uk retailer Car Parts 4 less. the total amount was £17.84, which i paid via paypal.

After this i got my usual paypal email and messenger notification but it states £44.72 has been charged.  Ive logged into my paypal and my recent activity is showing that sum as a charge and also checked my mobile banking and it has the same £44.72 as a pending transaction ready to be charged?

Who do i contact about this / why has it done this as i use paypal ALL the time and now im going to be worried about ever using it again.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@everson38 

Does it say the higher amount in your paypal account?

If so contact the merchant you purchased from and check why you have been charged this and request a part refund if its an error.

If its not an error on their side and they can't part refund then click on the transaction in your paypal account and  using the report a problem option on that details page, report a billing error? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

everson38
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that is correct, the higher amount of £44.72 is in my paypal account.  Where as on my account for the car parts company it shows as £17.84.

this is what the merchant said to me via live chat: 

(10:52:38 AM) Jonathan: We have only accepted a payment of 17.84 ( GBP ) from paypal. 

If PayPal have authorized additional funds, these would be declined by our payment system, as we can only accept payment up to the value of the order.

The funds should automatically void.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.