PayPal, Egypt, Bank Al Ahly, and imposed limitations

MemeManDev
Contributor
Contributor

Is a platinum USD debit card issued by NBE viable for confirmation and use on a PayPal account? I already linked mine (on more than one account for testing, and removed it numerous times).

I'm aware Egypt has imposed limitations when it comes to actually using PayPal with most Egyptian banks. However, according to customer support over at NBE, since I'm using an international debit visa (main currency being USD, and tied to a USD bank account), I should be able to link it here just fine. When I talked to PayPal CS, I was first directed to correct any mismatching info between my account and my card, which I did. They then told me that it was an Egypt problem, and that my best bet would be applying for a card from either the Egyptian Post or QnB.

I specifically got this card so that I can work with PayPal. I do freelancing work as a fullstack dev and want to be able to receive and withdraw payments. On my old (now gone) account, I used to get paid normally. I'd recently tried using PayPal to pay for some game on Steam in order to test the new card on it (not verified since I can't confirm that card due to the aforementioned reasons). Expectedly, the money got deducted from my card rather than my PayPal account. I've used the card itself to purchase all kinds of things internationally, in all sorts of currencies, and it works perfectly fine. This leads me to believe that the issue is on PayPal's end.

Despite making several phone calls and exchanging text with numerous CS agents, I got the same reply: They couldn't do any card verification for me since the confirmation button wouldn't work.

So, with all that being said, I really don't feel like going through the tedious process of transitioning to a different bank again with no guarantee of it actually resolving my issue. As such, I'd like to ask for advice regarding this topic: Is there some amazing trick I'm missing to just magically solve my issues that I'm not aware of? Should I try using a virtual card provider as a second layer in order to circumvent this problem altogether?

Thanks in advance, fellas.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MemeManDev
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Turns out they've yet to support debit cards outside of QnB/EP. I'm not gonna bother getting a credit card from my bank cause it's too much to look after at the moment. PayPal has been supporting Egyptian (EGP-only) bank accounts for a fair bit as of recent (just found this out yesterday). I'll probably post a separate question inquiring regarding when USD accounts will be supported, because that's really all I need. In the meantime, I can appreciate the updates 💜

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

MemeManDev
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Turns out they've yet to support debit cards outside of QnB/EP. I'm not gonna bother getting a credit card from my bank cause it's too much to look after at the moment. PayPal has been supporting Egyptian (EGP-only) bank accounts for a fair bit as of recent (just found this out yesterday). I'll probably post a separate question inquiring regarding when USD accounts will be supported, because that's really all I need. In the meantime, I can appreciate the updates 💜

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.