Not allowed to use Paypal but will not tell me why

JHRHILLTOP
Contributor
Contributor

When I signed up for Paypal and tried to link my bank account, I was immediately banned from Paypal with the message below.  It was bewildering.  Why would a platform tell me - "You can't use Paypal anymore" - when I have never used it at all?   No further explanation, no details.  I called Customer Service and after the automated attendant tried to kick me out I was finally able to get a live person on the line.  (Relief)  But I was basically told by this customer service rep I can never use Paypal and they will not tell me why (security reasons, blah, blah blah).  Before I could even ask the obvious question "can I try to create a new account" she basically told me "and if you try to create a new account, you will be blocked."  I asked "how would you know its the same person?"  She said we use photo id.  I responded "how can you match when I didn't upload a photo id for this account?"  (No response). 

Beyond the frustration that I can't use the product I am more concerned about what could possibly have triggered this ban.  This is a terrible business practice in the name of "security."  Other much larger financial institutions do a much better job with this type of resolution.  For example a couple of months ago I ran into a block when trying to link two accounts from different financial institutions (much bigger than Paypal).  Their customer service was willing to talk to me and we determined the problem was that one of that accounts was a joint account and the other was not.  Helpful to know.  I have no idea whether or not the same thing happened with Paypal.  But that's irrelevant.  The point is that this is a bush league process.  I would expect better from a serious institution.

You can't use PayPal anymore

At PayPal, we value a safe community for our customers to do business. We noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our User Agreement and we no longer offer you PayPal services.

Any bank or credit card information linked to your PayPal account cannot be removed nor can it be used to create a new account. You can still log in and see your account information but you can’t send or receive money. Any money in your balance will be held for 120 days, after which we’ll send you an email with instructions about transferring your money.

Reference ID: PP-L-312634281232

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

JHRHILLTOP
Contributor
Contributor

My account has been restored.  Guess someone saw this who could do something about it.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JHRHILLTOP 

Most common reasons for an account limitation are:-

1. You have a previously limited account (temporary or permanent) and you have tried to open a new account and not resolved the issues with the other account first.
2. Using a VPN.
3. Not living in the country where you opened your Paypal account.
4. Being under 18 / minor account.
5. Having 2 Paypal accounts or more of the same account type.
6. Not having your legal name on your Paypal account.
7. Selling items (often virtual or digital) that Paypal consider a high risk of disputes/chargebacks.
8. Using the friends/family option for sales transactions to try and evade Paypal fees and risk of disputes.
9. Too many disputes/claims.
10. Violating their acceptable use policy.
Normally you can't appeal a permanent limitation however if its none of the above reasons then you could try and contact customer services to appeal?

https://www.paypal.com/cshelp/article/how-do-i-contact-paypal-customer-service--help378

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bdsnconnolly
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the info.  opened my account in the uk but went living in Spain for a while and i think it was then that my problem started although i did some buying before they restricted my account. i now live back in the uk  and still my account is restricted.  i would expect better treatment fro paypal having been with them for 22 years.

Login to Me Too

Bdsnconnolly
Contributor
Contributor

the same thing has happened to me. to say i am livid is an understatement. paypal are infering that i have  comitted some infingement which i am certain i havent.  i have been a loyal customer for 22 years and this is how they treat me. they dont even have the common curtesy to reply to my emails.

Login to Me Too
Solved

JHRHILLTOP
Contributor
Contributor

My account has been restored.  Guess someone saw this who could do something about it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.