Modo Mobi Ltd Scam

not_wendy
Contributor
Contributor

I got charged $7.99 three times this month, and i didn’t even realize it until I checked my card today to pay my bills and saw these unauthorized payments. Explain to me how I have never purchased any subscriptions other than apple music, free trials, or clicked on any type of random links, but all of a sudden there is a subscription that was set on auto pay? I contacted both the company and paypal, but they were unhelpful in this situation. I have seen tons of people who are going through the same things as I am right now, but are not getting the help that we deserve. Which makes me wonder if they are working together to scam our money. I demand an answer and refund, otherwise I will delete my account and never use paypal ever again.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@not_wendy 

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product or do a survey and unwittingly agree to a subscription being set up.

As a buyer you must agree to a billing agreement/subscription before a merchant can take a payment from your PayPal account.

If you don't notice during checkout OR don't cancel then it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it?
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

not_wendy
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, thank you for responding, but I want to clarify some things up, I have been busy with finals at my school lately so I don’t have the time to take any survey nor sign up to accept free trial for any products, so when I saw the transactions, it makes no sense to me at all. The company replied back to me saying that I ‘did’ and I should have gotten a confirmation receipt email. However, I have checked my email and there was nothing. Is there anything you guys can do to help me and to eliminate the actual scammers.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@not_wendy 

You do know this is a 'user to user' community advice forum don't you?

This is not customer services.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nantic
Contributor
Contributor

...i have a similar problem with an app that i downloaded for a '7-day free trial' which i cancelled before the 7 days were up...but i seem to have paid for the app as i was asked, by apple, to give my credit card details - something i normally don't do...i wish i hadn't as the app was definitely not worth it...i have a case opened with paypal but i doubt i'll get my money back...i also got an email from paypal from an email address which is 'no longer valid'...something is going on as paypal was never like this in the beginning, now it doesn't seem to be on the side of the buyer...i'm not going to maintain my paypal account once outstanding cases are resolved - i have two now and the resolutions won't be in my favour!...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nantic 

If you have a subscription set up albeit unwittingly then paypal is duty bound to pay it so if you are filing a dispute then sadly no you may not win.

You may be better off filing a chargeback if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card? Although they have terms and conditions as well and may again refuse if they see it was a subscription.

Can I also just point out your comment about paypal no longer being on the buyer side? Why would they be? Paypals customers are both buyers AND sellers so they are on no ones side. They give 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection and its up to us to risk assess our transactions.

I would do a google search / reviews etc on companies you don't know or apps etc before continuing to purchase from them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nantic
Contributor
Contributor

...i've been using paypal for years and a couple of times i've had to open a case when i've not received items or the items received weren't as advertised...this is the first time i've had such problems with paypal for much the same complaint...i've come across quite a few complaints about the way paypal is handling buyers' cases now so i will be closing my account with them when/if my current cases are terminated...as for researching a website before buying something from it, i quite agree i should have done so, i usually do, so my bad...i didn't think trying out an apple app would be a shady thing to do, especially when they guaranteed they wouldn't take any money from my card until after the 7-day trial...i have no proof of this because i received no notification either from apple or paypal...i won't be fooled again!...

Login to Me Too

nantic
Contributor
Contributor
...just to add that this case was found in my favour and my money was refunded, rightly so...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.