Item recieved significantly not as described.

captvik
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered a 26 gallon aquarium from a seller using PayPal. I received a 10 gallon aquarium. A month has gone by and PayPal is now saying that they will get me a refund of my money ($230.00) if and when I ship the wrong item back to the seller. I just got a quote from UPS for $107.00 to ship the item back to the seller. This is not acceptable...I should not have to pay for the sellers mistake. It appears as though PayPal is saying that this is a "Take it or leave it" solution. The ordered is "frozen" by the seller and they won't respond at all. I have been using PayPal for over 20 years now....their success has certainly changed the way they treat their buyers. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to proceed PayPal has given me until May 16 2024 to send them the return shipping tracking info or they will close the case...so PayPal buyer protection has become another scam?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@captvik 

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

captvik
Contributor
Contributor

I am sure in this "corporations are people" world you are correct.....However, none of what you  stated makes it right.  I have been a Paypal member/customer for 23 years. I have seen Paypal change from being a buyer customer oriented company into a greed machine where the sellers are the protected ones. . Believe me, I will not be doing any more business with them after this is resolved (not that it will matter to them). To be clear, Paypal is knowingly condoning and protecting a seller who cheats and lies....the sellers' country of residency or their nationality should have no bearing on how they treat their buying customers. I am a pretty persistant person, and will be broadcasting this issue in every venue I can find both on and off line.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@captvik 

What you do concerns me not one jot. I just gave you the FACTS as to why Paypal are expecting you to return items and also giving you an alternate option in my last sentence, so, you're welcome!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.