IS "American Coradius Internacional LLC" scam???

safesafesafe
New Community Member

Today I received a letter from these people who told me that I had a PayPal debt of 905 dollars, with a web address to go and log me in with some numbers, which were in the letter. I would like to know what you think of this?

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

Tanayanicole9
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever receive an answer about this because I received a letter as well about owing money. I don't have a Pay Pal credit card and have had PayPal for so long and never experienced this. 

Login to Me Too

MrsHogHunter

Received a letter from American Coradius saying that he owes PP and he doesn't even have a PP account. I cannot find a number for PP. 

Login to Me Too

agiovannoni
Contributor
Contributor

Dec 4,2021

I just received a debt collection notice that I owe 1246.49, and that American Coradius International is willing to settle

the account for payment of 560.93 My question is this a scam?

Login to Me Too

wblack13

I just receive a letter as well. I'm going to look into a class action lawsuit. I find it hard to believe we all are Pay Pal customers and are receiving these same fraudulent letters. Pay Pal is responsible to protect our name and information so there is a leak somewhere. Not sure how far I will get but I am tired of these practices by these scammers. There is no way we all could have the same problem. 

Login to Me Too

Jesscap83
Contributor
Contributor
I too received the letter and would like to help a class action suit if anyone is game. How does PP know this is happening and do nothing? ACI is obviously the scammer as the checks are directed to be made out to them...
Login to Me Too

TX2NYC
New Community Member

I'm interested in filing a class-action lawsuit!

Login to Me Too

SteveSch
Contributor
Contributor
Read the whole thread, folks. ACI isn’t sending these out. The actual company is indeed PayPal’s collection agency, but they aren’t sending the letters. It’s a scam, sent out by people impersonating ACI, trying to get you to log in to their sketchy online payment website and give them money you don’t owe. (FYI if you DO owe PayPal money, it’s a different story. You will probably get a real notice from ACI.) You can always send ACI a letter disputing the bill, including a copy of the letter you received from “them.” If it’s legit, they’ll reply. If not, nothing else happens. I did this months ago. No reply. It was obviously a scam. This is basically identity theft, but the scammers are impersonating a company in order to intimidate individuals. I also notified the USPS about it. It’s mail-fraud, and they’re the ones responsible for investigating.
Login to Me Too

TheFailanx

I'm game for one. Just recently received one for $28.77. Let's sue these frauds!

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @SteveSch, @TheFailanx, and everyone,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear there's some confusion regarding a letter from ACI and / or a debt that may be owed. I can confirm that ACI is a legitimate agency that works with PayPal to collect a debt owed. However, if the debt is a result of identity fraud, unbeknownst to you, or related to another unique circumstance such as a bankruptcy or a deceased PayPal customer, please reach out to our Collections teams with the information in the following Help Center article to review what options may be available: What should I do if my balance is negative?

It is also important to recognize spam / phishing attempts. If you receive a letter from ACI and expect it to be spam / phishing, please reach out to ACI directly via their contact information located on their site here.

Thanks for reaching out and best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

LowKeyNYC

This is not really helpful because you cannot file a dispute with PayPal Resolution for a charge that is not showing on your account, which is the case here with a $120 collection letter from American Coradius International. I just checked the PayPal account which was opened in 2011. There are zero charges from 2021 and zero charges from 2020 and zero charges from 2019 (as far back as I can go). The account is rarely used since 2011. So there is obviously another account that somehow has my name attached probably with a fake email address. There is an account number on the ACI letter although PayPal doesn't use account numbers, only email addresses. So now I get to call a collection agency and sit on the phone from the hospital while I sit with my brother for his surgery because PayPal doesn't do enough to confirm identity when letting people open accounts.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.