How do I received signed letter from PayPal to the IRS verifying that an ITIN is required?

mpume_69
Contributor
Contributor

Hod do I receive a letter from Paypal to the IRS veryfying that an ITIN is required.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @mpume_69. It sounds like you've been asked by PayPal to provide some information and/or documents to confirm details on your PayPal account. However, PayPal does not provide a signed letter to give to the IRS, but we may ask for a document from the IRS to confirm a piece of information like an ITIN or EIN or SSN.

Please review the directions in the Resolution Center when you are logged on to your PayPal account, and please also review any emails you have received from PayPal on this situation.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael
PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

mpume_69
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Michael

Thanks for your response. I am a South African citizen currently in the US. I created a PayPal account early December 2021 as I needed to receive money via the PayPal profile. The money was sent and I linked my South African bank card but was not able to and still not able to access the money because PayPal requires an ITIN to release the money. I cannot link the profile my South African Bank because PayPal only show me American banks. I do not have an American Bank Account because I do not have an ITIN. So I went to the IRS to apply for an one. They told me, as a foreigner, I can only apply for an ITIN if my money is withheld by a thrid party (e.g. Financial Institution, etc) but they (IRS) need a letter on a letterhead from whatever institution to confirm that an ITIN is required for me to access the funds.

As a foreigner, is there another way that I can access my funds from PayPal without an ITIN - this was not a sales or business transaction. Someone owed me money and they were paying me back. The IRS will not approve my application with a document confirming that I have funds withheld by PayPal. I desperately need the funds right now as my cash is fast running out.

I hope you will be able to help me find a solution. All I need is access tot he funds. I don't have an SSN or ITIN.

Regards

Nompumelelo

cell number[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]nbsp;

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Megan

Hello @mpume_69,

I understand your concern.

If there is certain information required to release your funds, those requirements will need to be met before that can occur.

You may want to reach out to our Customer Support by selecting "Contact," at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I hope this is resolved for you soon!

-Megan S.

If you find this response or any other post helpful, you can make our Community better by giving Kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.