Help PayPal closed my claim with a scammer

Burningoak
Contributor
Contributor

Seller essentially sent me an empty box filled with cardboard and a paper weight to make the box appear to have the item I ordered.

When I escalated the dispute with PayPal, they closed the case saying the seller has provided a tracking number that shows delivered.

While I don’t know what “proof” the seller provided, I have security footage of the package delivery, opening the packages, and the contents it contained.

What are my options at this point? As I never knew buyer protection was so worthless.

I am unable to appeal the case or even get in contact with anyone from PayPal it seems. 

This is PayPal Canada so hour show they are closed for the weekend? Yet they were somehow able to close the case.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Burningoak 

Paypal buyer protection is fine if you use it properly, so did you open a dispute for non receipt of item which the seller would win if they provided a tracking number proving something was delivered to you. OR did you open the correct dispute of item received but not as described ie completely wrong item / cardboard instead of item?

Then did you escalate to a claim?  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Burningoak
Contributor
Contributor

The dispute was for not receiving the item. I guess I should have changed it to item not as described, though I did not think that would matter at the time. But now that the case is closed, it does not look like I am able to open a dispute on this transaction anymore.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Burningoak 

Don't give up yet, try contacting customer services and asking them to open a dispute for the correct option as you did receive the item.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Burningoak
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Hey, firstly thanks for your responses, they have been very helpful.

I have called customer service and they have reopened the dispute as “item not as described”

Hopefully this work out but I have to just wait and see at this point it seems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.