Fraudulent use of a money pool

DHT1234
Contributor
Contributor
Hi But long winded do bare with me. My daughter bought an item on the depop selling site. Whilst in communication with a legit seller for an item she bought, their selling account was hacked. They were a legitimate seller with no issues and many buyers who were happy. The hacker changed the sellers payment details to a money pool they overseen. My daughter sent the payment in good faith. She was not questioned by PayPal as it went through. Later that day the seller said the selling account had been hacked and not to send money to the link provided... Too late. We are going round and round in circles with PayPal. We have reported the pool to PayPal for fraudulent activity...for going against the fair use policy and acceptable user agreement. We have reported it to the police via action fraud. You can see in the pool that a payment has been made by my daughter for goods so it is not a donation nor a friend or family. We have explained what has happened. That the depop account is now secure but fraudulent activity was reported there too. And PayPal are just like whatever. No protection. Nothing. And that's fair enough as it is stated But we are literally telling them this pool is gaining money by fraud and deception and they won't do anything about it. They won't close it or return funds. Nothing. My daughters last resort is to try a charge back with the bank. This is just not on. She wasn't naive. She followed what she thought was the sellers legitimate Instructions and PayPal won't offer any help at all. So the seller on depop is protected. And the scammer is protected but the buyer has no come back whatsoever. Any advice at all with how to make PayPal realise that this needs looked at on a bigger scale here?
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

LS271
Contributor
Contributor
my daughter had exactly the same issue and waiting to hear back from paypal but dont think i will get anywhere. I have told ny daughter to remove the depop app from her phone as it appears to be very dimple for people to hack into someones account and they are protected !
Login to Me Too

DHT1234
Contributor
Contributor
Hey LS271. My daughter got her money back through barclays almost immediately luckily so get on to the bank if you can. It just Infuriates me that we could see it sitting there in their pool stating it was for some trainers and not a donation or gift... we didn't know who they were... and it wasn't the depop seller. But they would do nothing about it at all. Protecting everyone but the buyer who had been scammed. Hope you get sorted
Login to Me Too

LS271
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you . I will contact barclays this morning and hopefully get this resolved. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼
Login to Me Too

Mdsojon2
New Community Member
My account not balance exhaust forever my help me
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.