Facebook messenger seller emailed invoice to me for a purchase is it legit?

Logasteg
Contributor
Contributor
I am looking to purchase a go pro on Facebook and the seller sent me an invoice through email, but the email was PayPal’s service center so it looks legit. Is it or am I’m being scammed?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Logasteg 

PayPal emails you when someone sends you a PayPal invoice that’ll include link in the email to pay it. Alternatively, you can also log in to your PayPal account to find the invoice and pay it from your account, that is of course, if a real PayPal email/invoice was sent.

When in doubt about the email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Logasteg 

PayPal emails you when someone sends you a PayPal invoice that’ll include link in the email to pay it. Alternatively, you can also log in to your PayPal account to find the invoice and pay it from your account, that is of course, if a real PayPal email/invoice was sent.

When in doubt about the email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Logasteg
Contributor
Contributor
Where would I see his invoice on PayPal because I can’t find it anywhere other than my email, but when I click on it in my email it brings me to the actual PayPal.com
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hi @Logasteg

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community. 

I would recommend logging into your account to view the invoice. 

To pay a money request sent by a seller:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
2. The money request appears on your homepage below the ‘Pending’ heading.
3. To pay it, click Send Money and follow the prompted steps.

When you aren't sure if you can trust a communication claiming to be from PayPal, check to see if the message does any of the following: 

Uses impersonal, generic greetings, such as “Dear user” or “Dear [your email address].”
Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last names or by your business name. We never say things like "Dear user" or "Hello PayPal member.”

Asks you to click on links that take you to a fake website.

Always check links in an email before you click them. A link could look perfectly secure like www.paypal.com/SpecialOffers. Make sure to move your mouse over the link to see the true destination. If you aren’t certain, don’t click on the link.

Contains unknown attachments.
Only open an attachment if you're sure its legitimate and secure. Be particularly cautious of invoices from companies and contractors you're not familiar with. Some attachments contain viruses that install themselves when opened.

Conveys a false sense of urgency.
Phishing emails are often alarmist, warning you to update your account immediately. They're hoping you'll fall for their sense of urgency and ignore warning signs that the email is fake. If there’s an urgent need for you to complete something on your account, you can find this information by logging into PayPal. 

For more help with this, see: How do I spot and report a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website? 

-Rebecca 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.