Dealing with Penny Transaction Scams

CannibalHoliday
Contributor
Contributor

Ever since one of my email addresses was released in the user lists from a data breach on another site a while back I've been getting a ton of spam and scam emails. And recently a few penny transactions from fake paypal accounts have appeared in my account.

The format is (Firstname)(Lastname)(gibberish) at outlook.com

They're getting the names from real people and insert the gibberish after the name, hoping people won't notice I guess.

I contacted support in chat and was told "just refund them".

When I look at the refund option it actually will cost me a few cents per transaction to refund them. So if I were to do so, the scammers profit and I take a small hit. (Like they send an amount that ends up being zero after paypal fees, but if I select refund paypal refunds the fees but also will take 4 cents out of my account). 

If they're doing this to thousands of users and getting pennies back it's probably adding up. And I don't want to use the "refund" option because that will just get me put on the 'Sucker List' that scammers/phishers use.

The support person offered no alternative but to refund the scammers. So anyone else have any ideas?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @CannibalHoliday

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting here!

I understand your concern about paying fees for refunding unknown payments received in your PayPal account. As your email address was released due to breach in another site, your best option would be updating your email address in your PayPal account to avoid receiving unknown payments. You can learn more about updating email address in your PayPal account here : How do I add, remove or update an email address on my PayPal account?

Best wishes,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

CannibalHoliday
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Bindu 🙂

I did that the other day. Just don't like the idea of scammer transactions hanging overhead.

I had to deal with a different type of scammer a few years ago, and while their attempts were repeatedly overturned by paypal (yay!) it wasn't fun having to show evidence every time. Would definitely be nice to have an option to flag some transactions as 'unwanted/suspicious' and remove them from an account when they appear. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.