Clearly fraud case closed as NOT unauthorized

EMJD
Contributor
Contributor
A couple months ago, someone managed to hack into my PayPal account and initiate 3 transfers overnight from my attached SoFi bank account to my PayPal account. I reported it to both and was told I had to change my security info and wait for the transfer to clear (took 5-6 days) then simply transfer it back. I did so and the attempted thief didn’t actually get the money. No suspicious login activity alerts had occurred, nothing although I have all of that set up. A week ago, same thing except double the $$, 3 transfers initiated overnight to the tune of $500! I immediately reported this to PayPal but they did nothing, and before I knew it, the thief had added a bank account into my account again with ZERO notification to me and the second the transfer cleared (which is a waiting game), they transferred the $500 out! I escalated the case over the phone, was told it was clear what was occurring and my account would be put on high security alert and within the same day, PayPal closed the case as NOT unauthorized! I did everything they asked me to, reported the transactions as fraud, PayPal told me it was clearly fraud, and they STILL let the thief keep my money! I have 2-factor authentication set up through an email, changed my passwords every time, and yet…a day ago 3 new transfers were initiated into my account! I called PayPal yesterday and spoke to security rep who told me it is clear PayPal has failed me here but there was nothing he could do and I had to email asking for the “documentation” they used in determining their decision. He had me change my email entirely so I had to create a brand new email just for PayPal, and I found that even though I had reported the new fraudulent bank account to Paypal a week prior, they had STILL left it on my account! The rep was appalled and said I have done everything they asked for security, and he had no clue how someone was still getting into my account. I deleted that fraud account and my real bank account. SoFi tells me I have to go through PayPal. Why is PayPal wanting thieves to keep my money? Is it just because they don’t want to be out the $500? I am ready to close my account and find an attorney at this point. But some businesses like a law firm I am using for dual citizenship ONLY use PayPal for payment, and I have lots of bills and purchases set up through PayPal. Help!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EMJD 

PayPal is only able to approve an unauthorized dispute when it is clear someone else logged into your PayPal account. If someone accessed your device using a virus or malware, then the logins would look like you made them.

If you can run a virus and malware scan and check and then save a report of the scan and provide it to PayPal's Customer Support. They may be able to reopen your unauthorized dispute with that information. You can find the different options for contacting Customer Support here

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.