Citibank Scam

Gosper1958
Contributor
Contributor

I had 4 x $99.99 withdrawn from my linked bank account without my authorisation. I reported this and the case was closed, identified as unauthorised activity but no money was returned. The money was immediately withdrawn before hitting my PayPal balance to a Citibank account, again an unauthorised transaction. I disputed this as well but the case has been closed and recorded as not unauthorised activity. I am out of pocket $399.96 due to this scam and Pay Pal and it's 100% protection is rubbish.

This is the second time that my account has been hacked. I have changed passwords etc. the last time I had a very difficult time getting my money returned. I had many phone calls to rectify the situation. Should have closed my PayPal account altogether.

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

Samloud
Contributor
Contributor

Same here
Our cases are being closed noting they "weren't unauthorised" transactions, hence cases closed

PayPal shows a lack of concern for the integrity and security of its platform. I fear that such negligence may encourage hackers to continue attacking other users and stealing their money.

Login to Me Too

ckkckk
Contributor
Contributor
i lost $8700+ on November 08-09. PayPal security problem. Never trust PayPal!
Login to Me Too

Notunderstood20
New Community Member
Yep same happened to me 14/07/23 they got 14 from my account and 90 from PayPal balance. Hackers need to be punished and PayPal deeming it as "authorised transactions" when I very clearly deny this is just poor. They also added details to my account like address and mobile number with the addition of weird letters like dfghg (both of which aren't used anymore). If someone says they didn't authorise a transaction how is PayPal able to deem it as authorised??
Login to Me Too

His happened to me as well. $520 CAD was illegally taken from my account to a random CitiBank account. Someone hacked into my PayPal and even put on recurring transaction. I hope PayPal can help us get our money  back. 

Login to Me Too

ckkckk
Contributor
Contributor
Same. PayPal authorized Citibank acct to withdraw PayPal customers money without any notification.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Gosper1958, @Samloud, @Notunderstood20, and @kevin21studios,

I'm so sorry to hear that you all experienced unauthorized access and a withdrawal of funds by a fraudster! Thank you all for posting in the Community Forum about your experience. I hope I can help with an option to explore and some additional information.

In a situation where the case is decided incorrectly following unauthorized access, please contact Customer Service in order to talk to a representative. If the activity is shown to be unauthorized upon re-review, then the appeal can be granted and the funds returned. It's possible that more information is needed than what was found during the initial review. You can reach Customer Service at one of the contact methods to be found when clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website, or you can alternatively reach out for assistance on one of our social media platforms - Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

@Gosper1958 - If unauthorized access has happened multiple times, I would recommend reviewing a few things on your end. Make sure that you're using strong and unique passwords on every platform. If you have been using the same password on multiple platforms, it is possible that it could be compromised through a less secure platform, and a fraudster would try it on a PayPal account with your email address just in case it works. You'll want to change your passwords on any platform that shared a password with your PayPal account to something different from itself and from any other passwords you use. You'll also want to run a virus scan on your computer or device, and check your network for any vulnerabilities. You can also learn more about protecting yourself from fraud on this PayPal page.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

BabakR
New Community Member

when I saw the Citibank transaction I immediately called PayPal and talked to the supervisors. They could stop the payment and returned the money but they didn't. It's been 14 days now and I have already made 4 phone calls and talked to more than 5 different people. They even confirmed that the IP address was not mine but NOBODY IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.  This is unbelievable how ignorant PayPal is. Every time I talked to a customer service they had no information about my case. It is just promises after promises and none is true. I lost $800 due to the hole in your security and PayPal is ignoring it. If I don't get any reply in a few days, I will take this to NEWS! 

Login to Me Too

elle_shimada_
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I had the same problem on 11 July 2023
A random Citibank account has scammed into my account and Withdraw $2,895.08

Paypal closed the case by saying "weren't unauthorized" transactions
This is unacceptable, is there a number I can call to speak to a representative that is free of charge? 

Login to Me Too

Deeps28
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same issue and they withdrew two times - one 399.90 aud and the other of 644.44 aud. It's strange that paypal is washing their hands off it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.