Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

jnguyen2cee
New Community Member

If you send a payment thru Friends and Family, can you file a dispute or claim?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi everyone,

Payments sent through the Friends and Family option are not eligible for Buyer Protection at this time.

If you are paying for an item, goods, or service, we strongly recommend against marking it as Friends and Family.

So, stay safe and don't use this if you're purchasing something - you might be hurting yourself in the long run Smiley Sad

- Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi everyone,

Payments sent through the Friends and Family option are not eligible for Buyer Protection at this time.

If you are paying for an item, goods, or service, we strongly recommend against marking it as Friends and Family.

So, stay safe and don't use this if you're purchasing something - you might be hurting yourself in the long run Smiley Sad

- Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

And if someone claims an "authorized" transaction - that could be a game changer.

Login to Me Too

gerg04

Hello snowshoe!

I know this comment is old, but I see you're a very helpful part of this community and was hoping you could clarify what you meant by "And if someone claims an "authorized" transaction - that could be a game changer."

Basically, my wife sent a FF PayPal to someone who likely scammed her, we ended up with a strange line item on our bank statement this morning. After Googling I ended up here and saw your comment. I was hoping you could give more insight as to what you mean and whether or not I should be worried that someone "Claimed an authorized transaction" ?

Thanks for your time and I hope you and yours are staying safe out there in these unprecedented times.

Login to Me Too

apple289
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed from some buyer and they ask me send him money as friends or family and I did do it. Now, I fill a dispute but like you said you cannot guarentee I can get my money back right? Is there anyway I can report Fraud Protection or get my money back? I'm really frustrated now. Please help.

Login to Me Too

Saginaw
Contributor
Contributor
Friends and family payment scams seem to be on the increase as since it happened to me, I’ve heard of so many others. There needs to be some protection for this as someone is getting very rich, very easily.
Login to Me Too

xtreme4x4Parts
Contributor
Contributor
I'm actually glad this family and friends payment method exists. When not selling on ebay, like kijiji for example, it gives sellers protection for once. Any buyer can claim their purchase sucks and send a brick back to the seller instead of the item bought, as long as they have a tracking number they'll win the dispute. So when people contact me and ask if I accept paypal, I tell them yes but family and friends payment only. If they refuse then I tell them I will list the item on ebay then and they can buy it there, where I can scan their feedback.
Login to Me Too

sandy1579
Contributor
Contributor
I agree I believe I was just scammed too! There has to be protection otherwise Paypal is going to be a scammers delight in getting $
Login to Me Too

willbidouky
Contributor
Contributor

Same happened to me as I'm not familiar with Paypal.. Still not sure how as paypal has details of the people of receive money they simply cannot trace them down and block from their bank..?

Login to Me Too

Astropin
New Community Member

There is already a solution to being scammed...don't use Friends and Family.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.