Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

akasharoranow
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is - I just had someone successfully dispute and win a case where they sent via friends and family. They just claimed unauthorized access or some crap. The decisions are always in the favor of the buyer - ridiculous. Even with friends and family there is no way to be safe for the seller. I will not be accepting any payments by PayPal for sure.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_MariaI

Hello, @akasharoranow!

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community!

When buyers open an unauthorised transaction case for a 'friends and family' payment, the agents review the account and only accept the case in the buyer's favour if they find evidence of unauthorised activity. 

Regards!

María. 

Login to Me Too

akasharoranow
Contributor
Contributor
What qualifies as evidence of unauthorized activity?
Login to Me Too

Temp20230526E
Contributor
Contributor

I did not know there was an option out there to dispute friends and family?  I wonder if they made that claim with the bank and the bank issued the non authorized?

Login to Me Too

Ohhaleno
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is, if the person disputes with their bank as unauthorized transaction, they will get the dispute through pp, regardless of if they sent friends and family or if they sent goods and services. The only time you can dispute a friends and family payment with pp is when someone hacked your pp act and Pp can see someone gained access to their account through hacking or something like that. So - even if you send goods and services, you still can get a chargeback. I'm dealing with an ungodly amount right now after a "friend" bought things and then disputed afterwards with her bank as an unauthorized transaction because you can't dispute through Pp for friends and family payments except in rare circumstances. 

I'm dealing with friends and family disputes - that were disputed through this "friend's" bank or cc. I am able to provide all kinds of info to pp for them to submit the info to the bank. And help me fight the dispute- even though it's friends and family and was disputed through her bank or cc company. Just fyi 🙂 And I am very negative in my pp balance as a result... 

Login to Me Too

Harry_117
Contributor
Contributor
I am having a similar issue, could you tell me the outcome?
Login to Me Too

Peacefullife
Contributor
Contributor
Would like to know the result , please. I will call my bank again after I restrict my bank account . I call help right away got scammed but unfortunately no one works after hours
Login to Me Too

placemat
Contributor
Contributor
I agree completely. If someone insists on paying with PayPal outside of eBay, then friends and family payment is the only option, otherwise they can look elsewhere. There's no protection for sellers at the moment using the standard payments option.
Login to Me Too

Brown76fly
If you send money to the wrong person and they don't know you and accept the money. You text messages them letting them know it was a mistake they should be prosecuted
Login to Me Too

Peacefullife
Contributor
Contributor
it would be helpful if there’s a function to cancel the payment within 5 mins after transfer
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.