Account was hacked and I'm not getting a resolution from Paypal

lrh22
New Community Member

On April 27th I received an email push notification about a charge that I did not recognize. On April 28th I signed into my account and saw that my account language had been updated to a foreign language that I could not read and a number was added to my account that I did not recognize. I used google page translate to change the language back, removed the new number and then changed my password. When I filed a complaint about the unauthorized charge, I keep getting a response from Paypal with the following "Thank you for reporting this case. After our review, we found that certain transactions weren't unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered by PayPal Purchase Protection." and they closed the case. I am 100% positive my account was hacked, but I'm now blocked from reporting the fraud again. Is there another path forward here? I've been a customer for 12 years and this is the first time I've had an issue with a charge. I'm very disappointed that this is the response and considering closing my account. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lrh22 

PayPal is only able to approve an unauthorized dispute when it is clear someone else logged into your PayPal account. If someone accessed your device using a virus or malware, then the logins would look like you made them. If you can run a virus and malware scan, it would resecure your device.

Then save a report of the scan and provide it to PayPal's Customer Support? They may be able to reopen your unauthorized dispute with that information. You can find the different options for contacting Customer Support here

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dee1231
Contributor
Contributor

I have had problems in the past with paypal as well (noone stole my acct. ) where I sent money to my daughter via friends and family, but paypal still stole 3% from her money I sent her. After she and I spent 2 hours with their customer service at the same time online and by phone, they promised to reverse the charges to her but that never happened. Instead they weren't going to reverse and after that I could no longer (neither could my daughter) see any of the messages (luckily I already printed the whole chat already) and neither could my daughter. The time we spent wasted was way more than the $21 they stole from her so my daughter said don't bother anymore even though we were totally in the right! Reporting them to the CFPB doesn't get anything back, but the more people that report them to the federal bureau or your attorney general's office the better to start a class action and hold them accountable. Synchrony bank is notorious for **bleep** over people and they own paypal and so many other charge cards. Another bank that does the same is commenity bank thank deletes messages and stops convos when they are in the wrong. I just got a message to change my password in paypal today so I suspect they have a huge breach that they are not yet reporting, as of 5/8/2024. Keep reporting them to your attorney general or get help from consumer advocates. Good luck

Login to Me Too

S1k
Contributor
Contributor

Me too! My account was hacked and made 2 separate unauthorized charges from an unknown device on the same day. I filed a complaint but minutes later, they closed the case saying "the charges weren't unauthorized". I have to pass the 2-step verification but how did the unauthorized user enter my Paypal account? Wouldn't you think that PayPal's layer of security protection is questionable?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.