Account hacked by fraudster and payment off my credit card

Fredbloggs2
Contributor
Contributor

I had a computer problem so had been asking HP Support online for answers, it's the only way they would communicate. After several exchanges, my phone rang, it was some man saying he was from HP, detailing the problem I'd posted online and offering a solution. As the laptop was only just out of date and I'd been trying to contact HP since the middle of May when it was still under warranty, the solution offered was one of a new machine at a substantial discount. This is not unusual for electronic items, it has happened before so there was no reason for this to be queried. I have had to log on to their technical support before so again it was not unusual for this to happen to sort out a problem. I elected to pay by credit card, quite normal usually. Then this fraudster tried to set up accounts with 2 different receiving companies unknown to me and before anybody says I should have noticed, it was definitely not known until AFTER a payment had been agreed.

This fraudster had accessed my PayPal account, quite how I have no idea as I never logged in. It was then connected to a Xoom whatever that is and a further account raised in my name, all my details which I hadn't given and connected to my PayPal account with my credit card.

It looked as though 1 payment had gone through before I found it as the email confirming everything, which again I knew nothing about as this moron was supposed to have been sorting my computer out, had been dumped in the archive file.

My bank never authroised this payment but it looks like PayPal just went ahead and charged my credit card. Nobody actually checked with me. My bank sent a code to verify payment but I never acknowledged any of that and I can prove it. My bank had reinstated the amount pending off my credit card but the PayPal account shows this as being sent and they will do nothing about it.

I explained it had obviously been a scam, I had acted as quickly as I could to stop anything but they still sent money and now are accusing me of authorising it and just won't listen. I explained the situation of my computer being hacked but all they could say was I had authorised everything. It's ridiculous, even my bank acted as fast as they could once the problem was found but try getting through to PayPal to report anything like this and it's a waste of time. Can't even close the account as there's this whack of money they say they've sent and they can't do anything about it. Any advice appreciated

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Fredbloggs2, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!  

Your question is very account specific and we would be unable to tell you why this has happened over a public forum. I would suggest contacting us via Facebook - https://www facebook.com/PayPal/, Twitter - @AskPayPal., chat or phone and we would be happy to advise.

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.