Account Limited after someone sent me money and disputed it. Never requested money.

IAMGH2024
New Community Member

I was sent money from an account that I don't know. Two transactions, one for around $10 and another for around $140. I never check my PayPal because I don't use it for anything, and the account that sent me money disputed the charges. This left my account with a negative $15 balance. I paid the $15 and attempted to resolve why I was on the hook for things when I didn't sell anything, didn't request funds and just had my account have a drive-by deposit and dispute that I never initiated. I've looked into limiting visibility and searchability of my account, but that still doesn't seem like it would have prevented this. 

My account is now limited. I've attempted to upload documents, but I can't add money from my bank account or my debit card. My account is "Zero" but in the restore account spot, I still need to "resolve" negative balance.

The customer service has been non-existant. I feel like I'm the one suspected of something wrong, and I've attempted to see why I'm the one that needs to resolve things. I get nowhere from the AI chat and email is always a canned response. 

I can't even close my account at this point because of the lack of customer service and overall frustration. $15 shouldn't require more than an hour of my time. I've been able to utilize different payment methods now, and will not use PayPal until I can get a resolution. Even then, they are big enough to not worry about losing a small time customer like me, and I don't think I'll actually talk to a human... 

Has this happened to anyone else, and how did you get it resolved? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@IAMGH2024 

Sometimes happens if someone mis-spells an email address and the funds come to your by mistake.

To deal with it your best bet would have been to contact that person and offer to do a part refund minus the fee element (as it was their error) and then issue that part refund.

By doing nothing unfortunately all the sender could do was file a dispute to get their money back and as the fee is not returned as part of any refund made you were stuck paying the fee.

Why not contact customer services and explain what happened and see if they will waive the fee as a goodwill gesture?

https://www.paypal.com/cshelp/article/how-do-i-contact-paypal-customer-service--HELP378

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.