Account Limitations: What You Need to Know

PayPal_Mark
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Keeping your business and customers safer

To ensure PayPal remains a safer place for enabling payments, we regularly review all accounts. Sometimes, limitations may be placed on your PayPal account, which could restrict you from completing certain actions: such as withdrawing, spending, or receiving money. Limitations are in place to help protect all our customers, and in some cases to meet our regulatory obligations. Protecting your account and money is important to us.

Account Limitations: What might cause it, and how to help avoid it?

If your PayPal account is limited, you may be unable to withdraw, send or receive money. There are a number of reasons why your account could be limited:

Suspicious & unusual activity

• We suspect someone could be using your account without your knowledge.
  • Your bank alerts us that someone has used your credit/debit card linked to your account without your permission.
  • There are unexpected changes to your selling activities such as a sudden increase in your typical sales volume.

In such cases, we do what it takes to protect you from potential fraud prompted by the unusual activity– through limiting your account, and investigating.

You can safeguard your personal information and help protect yourself against fraud through some simple measures.  For example, don’t enter your personal or financial details when describing items for sale or in response to emails, and log out of sites you’ve entered your personal information into.

Regulatory reasons or business is not compliant

Your account could be limited for regulatory reasons. For example, India PayPal sellers need to include additional information to be able to accept payments in their account. Also, reaching a certain transaction value in your account may trigger a limit, which can also be removed by providing information required to PayPal.

There are also restrictions on what a PayPal account can be used to accept (and make) payments for. For example, PayPal doesn't allow the sale of counterfeit goods or banned items. So, ensure that your business is compliant with PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy .

Increased buyer issues

An increase of complaints, claims and chargebacks from buyers can lead to account limitations.

Following some simple guidelines can help you improve your performance and reduce the likelihood of limitations. Overall, communication is key. You should:

• Provide detailed product descriptions and photos.
  • Be upfront about policies such as shipping and returns.
  • Ship orders promptly and track shipments.
  • Respond quickly to any messages from buyers.
  • Work to amicably resolve any problems.
  • Ship to the address provided in the transaction details page.
  • Use quality shipping materials to prevent damage.

Removing limitations

If your PayPal account is limited, here’s what happens:

1. We’ll email you to let you know –  we’ll ask you to log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre for details on how to resolve the issue quickly, usually by providing information.
  2. Once you’ve submitted the information required, we’ll review and reply via email.
  3. We’ll remove the limitations once we have verified your account. At times, limitations can be removed by simply changing your security questions and password.

Here are the types of information and documents we may need from you:

- Supplier’s invoice with contact information

This helps us determine the inventory source and validate that you have the items that you’re selling in stock.

- Payment information

When an invoice is unavailable, we’ll review the following information about your payments:

• The item or service that was sold
  • The buyer’s name and shipping address
  • Proof of shipment to verify that an order was delivered

- Shipping or Tracking information

This helps us to verify that customer orders are being fulfilled.

- Proof of business
This provides evidence of a valid business registration and business ownership.

- Information for India sellers
This is to comply with our India regulatory obligations. Provide a valid PAN, a local bank account and the purpose code in your PayPal account task board.

- Proof of address such as bank statement or utility bill, Proof of identity such as passport or driver’s license
This helps us verify your identity when there is unusual account activity or to comply with regulations.

Once you’ve submitted your information, look out for any more emails from us as we may need additional details. We’ll do our best to confirm your information and remove the limitation within 2 business days, but sometimes it can take a little longer.

Quick Tip: If your PayPal account is limited, don’t open a new account. It could be traced back to the limited account.  It’s always best to resolve the limitation. We will guide you through it and restore full access to your PayPal account as quickly as possible.

Login to Me Too
1,052 REPLIES 1,052

Navigator7
Contributor
Contributor
My acc can’t be unlimited idk why it was limited since 16th of dec 2020 and I’m not able to withdraw the money until now
Login to Me Too

Mahabur
Contributor
Contributor
Unlimited money transfer
Login to Me Too

Topcats1972
Contributor
Contributor

I have sent all the information that was requested and I am still on a limitation. It keeps telling me that I need to send proof of business but I am a charity not a business. How can I resolve this?

Login to Me Too

DMJohnston1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm at the end of my rope here. I simply cannot provide the documents PayPal is demanding - I'm sorry, I can't give you a utility bill for a house where I don't pay bills. Customer service is absolutely useless. What am I supposed to do? Upload a couple jpgs of text describing the legal definition of conversion? Meanwhile, I have a domain that's about to expire, and in a month and change I'm going to be relocated again and I won't have any means of paying for the train ticket. And why? Because I had the nerve to buy $20 worth of Litecoin via a service PayPal integrated into the site? I'm sorry guys, you can take the crypto back, it's yours. I just need you to acknowledge that your bots are a little overzealous and they erred.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

People, wake up! We are writing here, so all these Paypal crooks read it. They are not gonna help. They only will make it worse.

My account has been permanently limited. I had $3300 USD in my account. After 180 days, my money DISAPPEARED from my account and was transferred to PayPal. No details, no explanations. Called their "customer service" dozens of times - no information at all. Those people are Thieves!! 

I call all the people who got scammed by PayPal - complain to any possible institution, police, etc. PayPal should get flooded with complaints!!! I know, there are millions of people scammed by PayPal = billions of free dollars to these crooks.

Paypal has nothing lose - in a couple of months eBay is moving away from PayPal, so PayPal is not going to stick here for long. They will try everything to steal as much as they can before they go. Don't let them take your hard earned money. Fight for it! 

Search the internet, there a tons of organizations to complain to. 

Let's get all together for a class action lawsuit!

Login to Me Too

DebbieMoli
Contributor
Contributor
They have done the same to me stolen £3680.40 transferred it to themselves 2 days before the 180 days was up.
Login to Me Too

Kriptololo
Contributor
Contributor

hello, i need help sorting my issue out

Login to Me Too

DMJohnston1
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to add that PayPal has a very sick sense of humor. I just opened my account - the one that's permanently locked, with money that I can't access and financial data I can't remove, and I see this:

SickSense.png

It was a crypto purchase that resulted in me getting accused of hacking my own account (at least I think so - all I ever hear from PayPal is "a number of factors that, when viewed together" etc). That you're promoting it to me now is depraved, but again - I've been banned for life for using a feature that PayPal is continuing to promote. Guys, if you don't trust one of your own features, if you really think it's that a big a risk for fraud, then remove it.

Login to Me Too

Dizzyd024red
Contributor
Contributor
My accountwas 14 ears old and I did all the steps to resolve the limitation to no avail I contacted PayPal that was a whole different issue just to get someone on the line after 45 mins finally get someone she asked me my name i gave it to her and she showed yes acct limited then mood changed as she had no reason to assist me telling me nothing could be done once its done its done. After 4-5 more (rude, obnoxious and absolutely disrespectful) escalations finally this person says he is a customer account manager he's the 1st person to ask for real verification email address phone # name and last 4 of ss#. F.y.i 4 hours on the phone at this point being talked down to and argued with and yelled at I have been calm through everything I state the issue. He says do you mind if I place you on a 1-2 min hold so I agree thinking finally someone that is going to actually look into this and I can get it resolve. At exactly 120 seconds on hold I hear click and the line was dead I gave him all my info and my call back number never got anything resolved other than finding out that by applying for PayPal prepaid debit card is the reason my acct got locked stating that my ip address was a blacklisted ip address which is impossible using my paid VPN that will not allow a blacklisted ip from any server region to be used.
Login to Me Too

WhatOnEarth
Contributor
Contributor

At last, something that might explain their limitation of my account. I have never ever broken their rules, been a great customer for years and Synchrony Bank (PayPal Credit) has no issues with me but... I too got no answers despite endless calls, e-mails and requests on their Facebook page. I did, on a couple of times, log onto my PayPal account whilst operating a VPN which I use for my business (it's actually required by my work) so perhaps that's the issue?

Isn't it odd how every contact is with someone with a name that does not sound American, and whom you can never reach if you call back? And I too have had the run around followed by the disconnect - twice. They are a hateful bunch.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.