729725 vs 72975

herpardra07
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone experiencing this where 2-factor is sending codes from both 729725 AND 72975? I am positive the latter is a scam, however, I tested it this morning when I requested a code and the code came from it instead of the official one (729725). My account was breached a couple of times earlier this year and now I'm concerned. I don't know why codes are being sent to me from BOTH of these numbers. 

Any ideas? I'm really over these scammers.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @herpardra07,

Thank you for your post in the PayPal Community Forum, and welcome! I'm sorry that your question hasn't yet been answered by the community. I'll be happy to provide some information for you and anyone else who happens upon this post with the same question.

Both 729725 (PAYPAL) and 72975 (PAYPL) are numbers that PayPal legitimately uses for SMS communication. If you're expecting a code, it may come from either number.

Bear in mind however, as with any communication that seems to be from PayPal or any financial service, caution is never a bad idea. Email addresses and/or numbers can potentially be imitated, so if the communication is unexpected, avoid clicking any links, just to be on the safe side. If you're ever advised to take any action in an email or text message that you have any reason to think may not actually be from PayPal, the safest thing to do is to open a separate browser and type in www.paypal.com and log in that way, or log in directly through the existing app on your phone or tablet. Typically, any instructions for needed action that you were legitimately alerted to would be shown once you are logged in to your account, and you can do anything that needs to be done safely without ever clicking on a link from a text message or email.

Some tips for spotting a fake message can also be found on this page and in this Help Center article. I recommend checking them out so you can confidently assess any future texts, emails, and/or websites.

Thank you for your caution, and thank you for bringing this question to the community. It's important stuff and I appreciate the opportunity to have this discussion!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @herpardra07,

Thank you for your post in the PayPal Community Forum, and welcome! I'm sorry that your question hasn't yet been answered by the community. I'll be happy to provide some information for you and anyone else who happens upon this post with the same question.

Both 729725 (PAYPAL) and 72975 (PAYPL) are numbers that PayPal legitimately uses for SMS communication. If you're expecting a code, it may come from either number.

Bear in mind however, as with any communication that seems to be from PayPal or any financial service, caution is never a bad idea. Email addresses and/or numbers can potentially be imitated, so if the communication is unexpected, avoid clicking any links, just to be on the safe side. If you're ever advised to take any action in an email or text message that you have any reason to think may not actually be from PayPal, the safest thing to do is to open a separate browser and type in www.paypal.com and log in that way, or log in directly through the existing app on your phone or tablet. Typically, any instructions for needed action that you were legitimately alerted to would be shown once you are logged in to your account, and you can do anything that needs to be done safely without ever clicking on a link from a text message or email.

Some tips for spotting a fake message can also be found on this page and in this Help Center article. I recommend checking them out so you can confidently assess any future texts, emails, and/or websites.

Thank you for your caution, and thank you for bringing this question to the community. It's important stuff and I appreciate the opportunity to have this discussion!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Nick031
New Community Member
Hello Olivia. Thank you for explaining. But I got call from [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]like 3 time and heard that someone trying get access and if it’s not me press “1” and after reply to keyword security number from “72975”. Is it Scam? Thank you!
Login to Me Too

Nick031
New Community Member
Phone numbe[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]
Login to Me Too

Jlgailey76
New Community Member

I have been getting texts and emails stating... PayPal: There wasn’t enough in your balance to cover your card ••••xxxx purchase. To add money now and try it again, go to: <a href="https://py.pl/1BhtOz" target="_blank">https://py.pl/1BhtOz</a> I have not made any purchases for quite some time now and I don't know what this is about. Anyone else getting this?

Login to Me Too

Nokuto97
New Community Member
Mee too. It's not even my card. I've never seen that card number. I got this text message from 729725, which seems legit. I changed my password with another robust one, but the next day it happened again. Yet, there is no trace of that card in my account.
Login to Me Too

ruckus
Contributor
Contributor

same here, is from 729725 and says to click https://py.pl/2tf3e

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hi @ruckus

Welcome back! Thanks for visiting our Community Forum again. I can confirm 729725 and py.pl vanity links are from PayPal. However, if you're still unsure a text or email you've received is from PayPal, here you can find information on How to spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website.

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Get2bpadmana
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I received a text from 729725 saying “PayPal:xxxxxxx is your security code. Don’t share your code.” Is this a phishing attempt? Or is this a case where someone really has my username/password and is trying to access my account? Tied to the above is whether 729725 is a legitimate PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Get2bpadmana

Welcome! Thank you for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I'm glad you reached out about this. The number 729725 is indeed from PayPal. If you did not request a security code recently, I'd recommend updating your password and security questions as soon as it's convenient to you. Our Customer Support is available as well if needed.

I hope that helps, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.