Selling a computer to a friend, how do I protect myself?

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I am selling a computer, keyboard, headset, and mousepad all shipped and ready to go in a package sealed box.

I have it ready to ship. How do I protect myself from getting scammed?

Friends and family or goods and services? Can I get scammed either way after he sends the money and I ship the product?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

NEVER accept a friends/family payment for selling, you would have 0 seller protection if the buyer did a chargeback or filed a dispute for unauthorised transaction.

You need to read up on paypals seller protection policy so you can risk assess your transactions.

Also do not get the buyer to send the funds, instead send an invoice or money request for them to pay detailing EXACTLY what you are selling them so you can fight any 'not as described' dispute.

Lastly do not send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal balance, even if pending or on hold they will show in your balance.

If its an echeque with a clearance date wait for it to clear. Beware of fake scam emails telling you that you have to send the item first before funds show etc. If in doubt ask on here.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Ok so I need to do service and goods. I have the package completely secure and boxed up. What do I need to do before I ship him the box? Request money stating what I am sending him?

@kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

Has he paid or not???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

No he has not paid and I have not shipped the product.

@kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

So why would you ship something you have not been paid for yet???

I've told you how to get paid etc in my first post.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I'm just trying to make sure. I've sent a lot of money on Paypal and had done friends and family usually. To make sure I'm correct I do the following, right?

1) Request money from buyer stating what he is buying in detail

2) Wait for the money to hit balance and not be pending

3) Ship the product and get shipping proof once sent off from UPS or USPS

Appreciate your help @kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.