PayPal takes money during open dispute?

emh1969
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday someone opened a dispute against me (an illegitimate one I might add). I responded as soon as possible. The dispute is currently listed as open and waiting response from the buyer. Today I logged onto my PayPal account and it shows a negative balance for the same amount as the disputed transaction.

I've never had a dispute before so can someone explain to me what is going on? Why would PayPal take money from me for an open dispute? The dispute hasn't been resolved, nor has it been escalated to a case.

Thanks!

Ed <Removed>

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @emh1969,

Thank you for posting on PayPal Community Forum!

I understand that you're worried about the dispute on your PayPal account. The dispute process is an opportunity to resolve issues between the seller and the buyer. It's in a seller's best interest to work with the customer to resolve the dispute. In a dispute, you can exchange messages in your Resolution Center to try to solve the problem. If you’re unable to settle the dispute, the buyer may escalate it to a claim. By escalating it to a claim, the buyer is asking PayPal to investigate and decide the outcome. A dispute will automatically close after 20 days unless it’s been escalated. If there are any questions about the dispute, you can contact support by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

I hope this helps,

Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.