I got conned into a scam, what should I do?

fierceprincess
Contributor
Contributor

Someone was posting on Reddit about a gig. Seemed pretty legit. But then it came out I was the "middle man" and that I'd get money on Paypal and send it to someone else (scammers) on Cash App.

Unfortunately, I already forwarded 374 on Cash App to the scammers. Now I'm refunding what's left in my bank account from the buyers to Paypal. The whole amount was never sent to Cash App as CA kept blocking me.

How borked am I? Can Cashapp help or am I on the hook for $374 dollars?

Also I was having trouble with Cashapp and got two different debit card info. They're Green Dot so probably worthless, but they have that info saved. Will that help too?

Edited to add: Basically the scammers posted to FB pretending they had items for sale local. They'd convince the buyer into shipping and the buyer would send me the money via paypal. Then the scammer wouldnt send anything while I sent along the money. They would also leave me on the hook for when disputes inevitably started rolling in.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.