Buyer is fraudulently demanding refund and to keep merchandise received, how does this work?

FrankPowderman
Contributor
Contributor

I sold $1600 of items to a buyer who responded to an ad. The buyer received all items and is now fraudulently filing an “item not as described” dispute on PayPal. I’ve offered to refund the full price if the buyer returns the items which he refused. I have copies of the ads and communications with the buyer detailing exactly what was to be sold and for how much. Buyer is filing the case based on demands that he did not receive items that were not part of the transaction as explicitly stated on both the ad and communications with buyer which were provided by me during the dispute process. PayPal is now only giving me the option to issue a full refund without the buyer having to return $1600 worth of merchandise he received and as a LONG time seller on PayPal I cannot fathom how a buyer is able to commit theft and fraud this way. What can I do at this point to prevent myself from being robbed by the buyer with the aid of PayPal essentially.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankPowderman 

ok, well covered that as well. Contact c.s. and ask why they are not requesting return of goods then?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankPowderman 

Sounds very odd as if a buyer wins a SNAD dispute they are normally requested by paypal to return the items first before getting a refund.

That is unless the buyer has proved the items are fake OR the dispute was not a paypal dispute but a chargeback done directly via the buyers credit card company (if he funded his paypal payment that way). If it was a chargeback then credit cards do not require return of goods first.

If that is the case then if you have a small claims court in your country you could try and file to get a refund that way OR offer the buyer a return postage label to return said goods or you will go down the small claims route, your call really.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FrankPowderman
Contributor
Contributor
Dispute has been made through PayPal and it is not a card charge back. Buyer indicated he needed time to put cash into bank to make the purchase initially so I don’t believe a credit card was used. That being said, the only option paypal is giving me in this dispute is to issue a full refund. There is zero mention of a requirement to return the item. The buyer keeps changing the dispute type in the process, originally it was item not received, I supplied evidence of the delivery proof and items being received by buyer. Now the dispute has changed to SNAD and the only resolution I am offered is to issue a refund with no mention of return.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankPowderman 

Call and report it as buyer abuse.

https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us      

Scroll down to click “Message Us” or “Call Us” option on the bottom.

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:    

PayPal on Facebook

PayPal on Twitter

Tell them buyer is claiming they didn’t receive item x, but item x is not even being sold in the ad nor is it part of the order in the first place. Tell them, you want the buyer to return for a refund.

Buyer probably complaining to PayPal about return shipping costs and why they gotta pay that, they didn’t make a mistake, and so on.

Was there a part that was missing from an item in the order? For example, there’s a set of cups in the order that when originally produced, came with saucers but you didn’t advertise that the saucers were missing…that sort of problem. In seller/buyer protection policies, these days PayPal may or may not require a return. They just want to get the case over and done with quickly. 

Edit: Oh it’s a cc chargeback…that’s different then…the buyer’s cc/bank don’t deal in returns. PayPal is hands are tied. Buyer has upper hand. You’ll have to do small claims court.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

FrankPowderman
Contributor
Contributor
I corrected my response it was not a chargeback, it was a dispute opened on a bank transaction within paypal. I will call right when they open. The add specifically listed 5 items for sale and their prices. The communication was supplied negotiating a price to buy all five items. Buyers filed the dispute claiming he did not receive items that were not anywhere in the ad, or listing description or communications and we’re not part of the items for sale in any way
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankPowderman 

Re-read my (and the first response to your thread), as I have already covered the fact if it was a chargeback in that post.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FrankPowderman
Contributor
Contributor
It was NOT a charge back. I re-read your response. It originally was item not received after providing proof of delivery the buyer changed the dispute to SNAD. The only option I am given is to issue full refund and there appears to be no stipulation on returning the items to me in that option.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankPowderman 

ok, well covered that as well. Contact c.s. and ask why they are not requesting return of goods then?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FrankPowderman
Contributor
Contributor
Will do. I wasn’t disputing your response in any way.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankPowderman 

Just remembered one other reason paypal does not always request return of goods, that is if the seller is non-responsive to the dispute process.

Just in case that applies? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.