Billing agreement scam

GaryPretz
Contributor
Contributor

I received no notification but on 11/25 someone logged in from somewhere and added my.com b.v. to the billing agreement and then withdrew 24000 and converted to russian rubels. I got that email transaction notification and immediately logged in and changed my password. I disputed the transaction and deleted it from the billing agreements. I called paypal and the lady I spoke to basically told me to prepare to lose and that I wont get my money back. Is that really possible. They have to know that its scam right? I also immediately made a withdrawel of all my money to the bank account. That transaction is now on hold I assume b/c of the other dispute. I read in other posts that everyone is losing their money this way and paypal isnt helping. It will be devastating to lose 24k this way. Please someone post a response that paypal protected the user account. I am freaking out now.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @GaryPretz

Welcome back to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the unauthorized activity that has taken place. It sounds like you have already filed an unauthorized dispute, and I am glad to hear that. When it comes to billing agreements, unauthorized disputes can be tricky. If the billing agreement was already established on your account, we are typically unable to approve the unauthorized dispute. A billing agreement makes it so a transaction can be processed without logging into your account. When unauthorized activity happens through a billing agreement, it's usually because the unauthorized activity occurred on the merchant's website and not PayPal. Since there isn't a PayPal login, we can't prove it was unauthorized. However, if we can determine the original billing agreement creation was unauthorized, we can approve the claim. On average, your unauthorized claim will be reviewed within ten days, and you'll receive an email as soon as it is complete. For questions on the outcome, feel free to contact Customer Support by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

I hope this helps to clarify the situation! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

GaryPretz
Contributor
Contributor

I have no idea what you are talking about. I didnt make any agreement with any merchant. I never added this russian scam company to my paypal. In fact I won that dispute and today it happened again. I have 2 step authentication on and was never notified that anyone logged in to my account. How do I make this stop. I am not sending money to russia. I dont want any billing agreements. It is crazy a random company can just take my money without my authorization.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @GaryPretz

I can certainly understand this has been very frustrating. 

It sounds like a subscription was created when the unauthorized transaction took place. You can find steps to cancel this here. This will ensure additional payments do not process. Be sure to file a dispute against the transaction that completed to request a refund. 

I hope this information helps!

Thanks, 
Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

GaryPretz
Contributor
Contributor

This is a non answer. In fact, I removed the subscription that was fraudulently created and then 6 days late it happened again with the exact same fake subscription. The fact that paypal fails to recognize and aknowledge the flaw will mean that it will keep happening. There is no security measure inside paypal that will prevent any outside vendor to create a subscription in your account. I have every option on and it still happens. The easy solution would be to allow an account to deactivate subscriptions globally. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.