WooCommerce order error: CANNOT_MIX_CURRENCIES

igorshiota
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with an WooCommerce shop based in the UK. When orders are placed within the UK, it all works fine. But when someone places an order from Ireland, the Order goes to fail status with the following message:

Failed to process the payment. Please try again or contact the shop admin. [UNPROCESSABLE_ENTITY] The requested action could not be performed, semantically incorrect, or failed business validation. https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/#error-CANNOT_MIX_CURRENCIES CreditCardGateway.php:591 [UNPROCESSABLE_ENTITY] The requested action could not be performed, semantically incorrect, or failed business validation. https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/#error-CANNOT_MIX_CURRENCIES OrderEndpoint.php:584 Order status changed from Pending payment to Failed.

I was just wondering if this is a simple matter of updating a setting in the customer's paypal account or if anyone has any other advice as it doesn't seems to be connected with WooCommerce's back end?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MTS_Jennifer

Hello @igorshiota 

Thank you for reaching out to the PayPal Merchant Community. I would like to address the issue you mentioned regarding the error message "Cannot Mix Currencies."

This error usually occurs when the initial order is created with a different currency than the capture API call. It is possible that WooCommerce is creating the order with one currency and then changing currencies after the buyer approves the payment via PayPal.

Although PayPal does support multi-currency processing, it is important to note that you cannot use two different currencies in one payment request. The currency used in the payment request must be the same as the currency used in the order.

To resolve this issue, I recommend ensuring that WooCommerce sends the same currency in the order as the capture request.

Thank you,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

Login to Me Too

igorshiota
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jennifer, thank you for your reply.

Yes, we do have Currency Switcher plugin and the one thing we notice is that at the cart, the currency is at Euro and at checkout is back to Pounds, so there might be a conflict there. 

We thought about not having that plugin at all and leave PayPal do the conversion, would that be possible? E.g If I'm in Ireland and buy something in the Store, I will be charged in Pounds but obviously PayPal (or the bank) will make the currency switch, if that makes sense? I believe this will get rid of the error.

Let me know your thoughts and advice.

Thanks again

Login to Me Too

MTS_Jennifer

Hello @igorshiota 

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Merchant Community. PayPal has the ability to hold a balance in specific currencies or automatically convert the currency. This can be done on the buyer's side or your side. If its done on the buyer's side, you simply have GBP as  your currency in WooCommerce, and PayPal will convert the currency for the buyer from their primary currency to GBP. On your end all payments would be sent to your PayPal Account in GBP automatically with no updates needed. On the buyer's end the currency is converted and sent to you as GBP.

WooCommerce would need to be updated for the currency of GBP for all transactions, regardless of the buyer's location.

The other option is for you to update WooCommerce to accept other currencies, however, it would need to update the currency prior to sending the buyer to PayPal. You can set your PayPal Account to either hold different currency balances or convert all currencies to GBP.

Here's how to update your PayPal settings:

• Hover over your name
  • Click on Account Settings
  • Click on Payment preferences
  • Click Update next to Block payments
  • The very first option would convert all payments to GBP automatically "Accept all payments and convert all to British pound."

Thank you,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.