How can PayPal suck so badly?

Nplag80
Contributor
Contributor

This is a serious question - how is it possible that an organization as widespread, established - and I assume profitable - capable of being so wildly incompetent? They're essentially a bank, which keeps track of people's money, and yet it's impossible to perform the most basic, common sense tasks. For instance, if you just want a table of transactions listing when (and by how much) money entered and money exited your account, you can't do it. I couldn't figure out how to do it, I gave my accountant and lawyer access and they couldn't, so I emailed and was told that wasn't possible, so I called, and again was told this wasn't possible. Apparently any result query MUST be convoluted with duplicate/triplicate entries for the same single event. For instance; a transaction with Home Depot is going to appear in any table you download or view will have multiple rows where the same amount was added or deducted 2-4 times. Status = Completed or Canceled or Removed or Placed or Cleared -- you would think "well just exclude everything except the 'completed' rows," and that would make sense, except the other identical entries may or may not cancel each other out, so you may or may not be **bleep** up your total by ignoring them.

Case in point; in this ONE example (of many), two ebay orders are duplicated. Both are listed as completed. One includes paypal's deduction, the other doesn't. This screenshot (which I moved columns over to cover the name of the buyer) is the least convoluted you can get your hands on.

paypal duplicated each sale twice.jpg

Then there are the searches. You can search "The Home Depot" (not "Home Depot" because you'll get zero results) each day for 4 consecutive days for the SAME EXACT time period and get 4 different sets of results. And these are the people keeping track of my money?

This post is, of course, inspired by a search I just did for a transaction on August 12. I searched for All Activity between August 10th and August 20th, the transaction wasn't there. I widen the dates - transaction isn't there. I filter by money added, still not there. I filter by payment received, again absent. I say **bleep** it, and just go through the entire activity log (no filters, no date ranges) and keep clicking 'next' until I reach August 12, and there it is. So turns out my mistake was searching for a transaction...

paypal search is a joke.jpg

This is why I ask, how is it possible to be this incompetent? Don't get me wrong - every company and every website is rife with incompetent, inefficiency and so much waste it's sickening. But a search for the exact name, during a short, recent time period, and vastly different results every time?! How is that possible?? That's more difficult to pull off than just displaying the actual, correct results.

"hmm, how about we add in some jquery to randomize the search results? So effectively people will never get the same results twice for a given search, ensuring they never have any idea how much money went into and exited their accounts. Sound good? Great. When's lunch getting here?"

If I'm murdered, it's because I've uncovered a conspiracy and PayPal needed to silence me to keep their scam going. Or someone who read this did it because they assume PayPal will be blamed.

If you disagree or have ANY issue with my disappointment and contempt for such incompetence then I'm sorry to have to tell you, but you're part of the problem. It's because of people like you that it's possible to insert a new game disc into a $500 Xbox One X and have no way to do anything with it (until you restart 4 or 5 times until the machine acknowledges it's there).

Let's say all of this is my fault, because I'm an idiot and I'm not using the search properly, and/or me, my accountant, my lawyer, and the two tech support guys I spoke to are all idiots and we all missed something - doesn't matter. My 91 year old grandfather should be able to figure out how to see a list of transactions in which money went into or out of his account, whether it's with a certain business like Home Depot - I mean, The Home Depot, or a reasonable time frame, or just in general. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Jatesbling
Contributor
Contributor
Are you doing this on the app or website? On the website, under Activity, I was able to search my transactions for a specific date range and transaction type and the report generated in about 7 seconds.
Login to Me Too

Nplag80
Contributor
Contributor

after you're done commenting on posts you haven't read do you go on youtube and comment on videos you haven't watched?

If you ever want to diversify your portfolio of pointless online responses, you should consider going on amazon and answering customer questions with "I don't know"

Login to Me Too

Jatesbling
Contributor
Contributor
I read the entire ramble of irrelevant important information that boiled down to the last paragraph where you stated you might not be using the search feature properly. Its apparent you don't actually want assistance. If that is truly the case, why even post on a forum where other legitimately want help and to receive responses.
Login to Me Too

Nplag80
Contributor
Contributor

Ohhh, ok. I thought because you completely missed the entire point that you didn't read it. But I had it backwards; you did read it, you just completely missed the entire point. That makes more sense. My bad.

Login to Me Too

Jatesbling
Contributor
Contributor
That point was you think PayPal sucks because you can't figure out the search feature. Whats so hard to understand and to figure out? Why even post in a help forum?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.