test paypal button

007Computer
Contributor
Contributor

I created a paypal button not realizing it was a "Test" button and used a client credit card to pay an invoice. Did it take the payment from him and if so, where did it go because I do not see it anywhere.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@007Computer 

It didn’t look it it went anywhere unless there’s a valid client ID called “test”. 

You were supposed to replace “test” in the url with your own client-id given when you get your API credentials and here’s how:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/get-started/

Ask your client to check their cc account to see if there is a pending authorization transaction in the amount you charged or a posted charge. Authorizations will expire and drop off. Otherwise, client can dispute the charge if the charge is posted, as merchant error. This won’t make a good impression for your client. Give em’ a small discount for the trouble.

Hopefully a PayPal staff will see your post and can confirm where the payment went.

Once the client get their funds back, send a PayPal invoice to their email address so the client can pay again without a PayPal account.

Go into your Account Settings > Website Preferences to enable ‘PayPal account optional’ setting

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@007Computer 

That’s not how you physically and manually process customer’s credit card with PayPal!!!

You have to send a PayPal invoice so the customer can use the credit/debit card option. Or you get PayPal virtual terminal or PayPal Here/Zettle (for in-in person/in-store use.

Don’t know where it went because no one knows which PayPal account (email address or merchant ID) you set for the payment to go to in the button. Did you use smart button or standard button?

You'll have to explain the situation to your client and have them do a chargeback to get a refund, if you used the guest checkout/card only option. 

Login to Me Too

007Computer
Contributor
Contributor

I copied and pasted the "test" script and was in a hurry and thought I had created a real button. I did edit the amount to what the invoice was supposed to be, but never changed the client ID. See below:

<script src="https://www.paypal.com/sdk/js?client-id=test&currency=USD"></script>

Then I used my clients CC which he gave me to use. Oooops.

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@007Computer 

It didn’t look it it went anywhere unless there’s a valid client ID called “test”. 

You were supposed to replace “test” in the url with your own client-id given when you get your API credentials and here’s how:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/get-started/

Ask your client to check their cc account to see if there is a pending authorization transaction in the amount you charged or a posted charge. Authorizations will expire and drop off. Otherwise, client can dispute the charge if the charge is posted, as merchant error. This won’t make a good impression for your client. Give em’ a small discount for the trouble.

Hopefully a PayPal staff will see your post and can confirm where the payment went.

Once the client get their funds back, send a PayPal invoice to their email address so the client can pay again without a PayPal account.

Go into your Account Settings > Website Preferences to enable ‘PayPal account optional’ setting

Login to Me Too

007Computer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I'm sure I am not the first idiot to try to use the "test" button thinking it is live. I've been creating PayPal buttons for clients for 20 years and the code created in the dashboard was ready for use. I just didn't realize I was in a "setup" procedure at the time.

I doubt that PayPal will accept payments that come into "test". But will mention I did a test and if anything shows up let me know.

I also have a support request in with PayPal and will hear in some hours, I suppose.

I set up the Virtual terminal and got the payment. I'll set up my button later when I have more time. I know its easy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.