I've been charged 3 times for paypal pay in 4 when I have only made one payment.

GR1MMY
Contributor
Contributor

I recently bought a large order, costing $240.27. I used paypal's pay in 4, which I've done multiple times in the past and had no trouble. This time, however, as I completed the purchase both on the merchant and paypal's ends, it seems as if the first automatic payment did not go through. It had been nearly a day at this point, so I went and manually paid the first payment to avoid any fees, thus leading to two charges. I got in contact with customer support and they told me that I would be refunded for one of the payments which is great! But, the exact opposite happened and I was charged a third time. Currently, my paypal account says that I've made two payments, but my credit card statement says that there has been three made.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Craig

Hi @GR1MMY,

Thank you for your post! 

Have the payments completed? When purchasing with Pay in 3/4, we will usually conduct a pre-authorization hold on your specified card or bank for an amount equal to the initial down payment or one-fourth of your total purchase amount.

This will show as a pending authorization within your PayPal account "Activity", and also at your financial institution.

If the order were not processed due to any technical issues, the pending authorization would be automatically be voided by PayPal within 72 hours of the pre-authorization hold.

Once the pending authorization is cancelled, the funds will be returned to your bank/card, and the time for the funds to reach back depends on the type of payment method.

PayPal_Craig 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

PayPal_Craig

Hi @GR1MMY,

Thank you for your post! 

Have the payments completed? When purchasing with Pay in 3/4, we will usually conduct a pre-authorization hold on your specified card or bank for an amount equal to the initial down payment or one-fourth of your total purchase amount.

This will show as a pending authorization within your PayPal account "Activity", and also at your financial institution.

If the order were not processed due to any technical issues, the pending authorization would be automatically be voided by PayPal within 72 hours of the pre-authorization hold.

Once the pending authorization is cancelled, the funds will be returned to your bank/card, and the time for the funds to reach back depends on the type of payment method.

PayPal_Craig 

Login to Me Too

GR1MMY
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding, @PayPal_Craig !

Only one of the three charges have been processed from what my card statement says. I’m assuming this is the one I paid manually. The other two are still pending, however. Only two of the three charges were made with my knowledge, those being the initial automatic charge (which appeared in paypal a day after I manually paid) and the one I manually did. The third appeared not long after. It may be a pre authorization hold because my paypal statement says two payments have been made. I’ll reply if I receive any updates of it clearing!

Login to Me Too

kitsoftpaw
Contributor
Contributor

did they ever fix it ?

Login to Me Too

YusD
Contributor
Contributor
Correction: I made a mistake not PayPal. It was a very coincidental payment of identical amounts in-store to the pay in 4 amount only 2 days later. My apologies
Login to Me Too

Temp20230113za
New Community Member
I'm having a similar issue after an ebay purchase for around 400. PayPal charged me 3x immediately.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Temp20230113za

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you've run into some issues with a recent purchase. Were the duplicate payments actually completed or were they temp authorizations? If they were temporary, they should fall off within 3-4 business days after the payment is complete. If the duplicate payments weren't temporary authorizations, you may want to see if the option to open a Billing issue on this transaction is an option. 

Good luck with this and future transactions, 

- Jon K 

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

YusD
Contributor
Contributor
I already posted shortly after the original post that I was wrong , PayPal didn't incorrectly charge me. It was how it displayed in my account and hadn't updated yet. My apologies, I was sure I reposted my mistake
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.