Can't Add PayPal MasterCard as "Funding Source" for automatic payments

Nolegrl88
Contributor
Contributor
I'm trying to add my PayPal MasterCard as "Funding Source" for automatic payments. It appears to only show "funding sources" from linked cards and since my PayPal card is already linked to my account, I can't re-add it to my wallet. How can I set this card as the payment for a new auto-pay agreement? I already have it set as my "preferred" card, but the billing agreements request a "backup source" to my balance and this card doesn't show in that list.
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Nolegrl88

Welcome! Thank you for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear you've run into some road-blocks setting up your MasterCard as a funding source for automatic payments. Is this the PayPal Credit Mastercard or the PayPal Debit Mastercard? Unfortunately, the Debit Mastercard would not be able to be used as a funding source for your automatic payments, since it's funded by your PayPal balance. However, if you have a PayPal Credit Mastercard already activated on your account, and you're still unable to use that as a funding source for automatic payments, please reach out to our Customer Support for assistance. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Nolegrl88
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Jon. Thanks for your reply. It's the PayPal Credit MasterCard and it's already active on my account. It shows in the app as a funding source option, but when I select it, all of my other card options get unchecked. When I log in to the desktop site, it's not even in the funding source list. I've tried to contact customer service a few times and I keep getting transferred to various departments. As soon as I mention it's about the mastercard, they send me over to the "PayPal MasterCard" department. They've already said that my card is fine. I've also been transferred to synchrony bank and they also said the card is fine. So it's something with PayPal itself. Do I need to phrase my question differently or request to speak to a specific department? Which department is in charge of the "funding sources" on PayPal.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Welcome back Nolegrl88! Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience reaching out to our support over the phone. 

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, but just to make sure, are these the steps you're following: 

• From your desktop, login to your account and click Settings.
  • Click Payments at the top.
  • Scroll down and click Automatic payments.
  • Select the agreement you'd like to update from the list on the left.
  • Click the funding source under Payment Method.
  • Then click the bubble to the left of PayPal Mastercard from the list of funding sources. 
  • Click Save.

If you still don't see PayPal Mastercard there, can you try clearing your cache, cookies, and browsing history? After that, I'd recommend reaching out to our Support through Facebook PM, Twitter DM, or Instagram DM so you can send them screenshots of what you're seeing and where the disconnect may be. 

My apologies for the inconvenience this has presented. I hope we're able to get this figured out!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Nolegrl88
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Jon, yes those are the steps I'm taking. When I click on the agreement I'd like to update, I only see the cards I have checked off in the "manage funding sources" section on that "automatic payments" page. That's where I don't see my PayPal MasterCard in the list and therefore it's not available to be selected in the individual agreements. I've tried to access this list on multiple devices and browsers, so it's not cache related. PayPal support did refresh my whole account on Wednesday, but that didn't fix the issue. I'll try to contact support via social media to see if they can help better. Thank you!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Thanks for confirming that information @Nolegrl88. I'm sorry this has been such a hassle. There's one more place I just thought of to check. Back on the Automatic Payments page, if you scroll all the way down, you should see an option on the left to Manage Funding Sources. Are all your funding sources checked there?

Hope that helps!

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

Nolegrl88
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Jon, I have the cards I want checked off in that section, but the PayPal MasterCard does not show in the list. There is also a weird glitch between the mobile app and desktop where the card does show in the mobile app, but when I select it, it unchecks all of my other cards so that nothing is selected. If I log in via desktop, the card doesn't even show in the list.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Thanks for checking that @Nolegrl88. Sorry for the mix-up, you're right. I just double-checked and the PayPal MasterCard wouldn't show up in the Manage Funding Sources list, just your external funding sources. I also just confirmed you won't normally see the option to use your Extras MasterCard as set funding source for a billing agreement  on your app. I'd recommend continuing to try through a desktop browser. If you still do not see the option after trying different browsers, our support through one of the options mentioned above would most likely be your best option to troubleshoot this further. 

Apologies again, and best wishes!! 

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

Aashishkebab
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have this issue too. It seems to be extremely buggy.

On the mobile app, it shows up but you can't really change anything because if you uncheck something and scroll down and back up, it randomly re-checks, and any changes you make don't save.

On the website, the MasterCard doesn't even show up at all.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Aashishkebab

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. I can understand how not being able to setup your funding sources as you prefer can be a bit frustrating. If you'd like to enable the PayPal Extras Mastercard as a funding source, please review the steps in my post linked here. You should then see the option to use that Mastercard as a funding source for your billing agreements, but you will not see that option on the App. You will only see it on our site. 

I hope that helps,

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.