Refund of Cash Card initiation fee upon canceling my card?

Temp20220518D
Contributor
Contributor
I have a PayPal Debit Card that I want to cancel. To activate this card I was required to first invest money into it to bring the card balance to $0.00. When I cancel this card will I be refunded that initial initiation fee?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220518D 

Huh? This doesn’t make sense. Unless it’s some new policy, I don’t recall activating a PayPal Cash card requires an “initial initiation fee”. You had to “invest” money to bring card balance to 0.00?! Did you have a negative PayPal balance?

PayPal usually makes a temporary charge of $1.95 for validation when linking our credit or debit cards and it gets refunded once the card is confirmed in the wallet page. But this is usually not necessary with PayPal branded cards. Or are you referring to the PayPal prepaid card?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Temp20220518D
Contributor
Contributor
I did not owe PayPal any money. Across the top of the card it says “PayPal Cash” and at the top right it says, “debit”. When I first opened the card it showed a startling negative balance of <$1,494.22>, so I deposited $2,000 into the card to bring it past zero and into a usable card. I thought that PayPal wanted an investment into the card that they could use as an extra amount of money that could be used as a way to build a balance that would support the cash Card.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220518D wrote:
I did not owe PayPal any money. Across the top of the card it says “PayPal Cash” and at the top right it says, “debit”. When I first opened the card it showed a startling negative balance of <$1,494.22>, so I deposited $2,000 into the card to bring it past zero and into a usable card. I thought that PayPal wanted an investment into the card that they could use as an extra amount of money that could be used as a way to build a balance that would support the cash Card.

No, no that can’t be right. The PayPal Cash card reflects the balance you have in your PayPal account balance and where the card draws it’s funds from for purchases, as you know.

If the card had a negative balance and you just activated it, then your PayPal balance must’ve been in the negative by that same amount and a negative balance represents the amount of money owed to PayPal. It’s not an investment. The only thing I can think of is by some fluke, you were issued a bad card number that had some funky activity on it or something. Or some sort of scam. You applied for the Cash card through the PayPal website right?

You’ll need to contact PayPal customer service about this.  

https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us      

Click “Message Us” or “Call Us” option on the bottom.   

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter.    

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal     

Twitter: @AskPayPal    

You can also call the customer service phone number on back of the card. Please update this post if there is an explanation why there was significant negative balance on the card when you got the card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.