Pay in 4 used for pre order, no payment can be made, item recived

ttarrant
Contributor
Contributor

Afternoon all. 

On March 31st 2023 I preordered a Nintendo Switch from Target.com. I selected PayPal as my payment method, and completed the purchase with PayPal Pay in 4. Target placed a temporary hold on the full amount, which is still pending on my PayPal. A month later the item was delivered, yet my PayPal pay in 4 is still pending. PayPal customer support states that Target did not initiate the transaction in time (Target charges upon shipment of the item, because it was a pre order, the item did not ship until a month after the initial order) and that the pay in 4 plan was canceled and that I do not owe anything. They expect all pending payments and the Pay in 4 plan to "fall off", however, again, I have the item. Target customer service shows the item was fully paid for. Paypal canceled the Pay in 4 and states I don't owe them anything. I have not paid a cent for this item and neither party seems to want my money or show that anything is due. 

Has anyone else used Pay in 4 for a pre order, or experienced anything similar? Sure I'd love to believe that I just now have this item for free, but I'd much rather pay what I owe and get this off my mind. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

jdhernandez95
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I posted a similar issue here: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Transactions/Payment-pending/m-p/3060901/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8YWNj...

A person replied to me and they said it double something on PayPal’s end. I am not entirely sure what’s the hold up from them.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

hELLO @ttarrant and @jdhernandez95,

Welcome to our community help forum and thanks for posting!

I understand your concern about pending payments or orders. When you choose Pay in 4, we will conduct a pre-authorization hold on your payment method for an amount equal to the down payment or one-fourth of your total purchase amount. This will shows as pending until merchant completes/captures your order. Sellers will often complete the order within a few days. Most sellers will complete for goods payments when they’re ready to ship your item. 

Once the the merchant completes your order, the pending authorizations will be removed, and the down payment will be withdrawn from your specified payment method. Any duplicate orders/authorizations will be removed and the hold money will be released in your bank account. Although PayPal has released the hold on your funds, this may take up to 1-5 business days to process through your financial institution. I would also suggest you to check your activity if the payment was processed as a normal payment instead of Pay in 4 plan. If you feel that the payment wasn't processed, yet you have the item, please reach out to our team through the available contact options at the bottom of PayPal page to check this further. Support is also available through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages.

Hope this information helps,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.