Chip Malfunction?

letired
New Community Member

Honestly just a PSA at this point hoping someone in customer service actually relays this to those concerned with functionality of this company.

For context I've had this account since early 2000s and have noticed it is only recently, with decade-late updates to "digital compatibility" that I've had increased transaction errors/denials/returns, only to continue to have issues with every single FDIC bank transfer attempt. To prospective customers: it's good for direct deposit and online purchases. Outside of that, good luck because you *are* your customer service no matter how stuck you are.
This does not work as a host account for cashapp and doesn't function as advertised with venmo. Not sure how you absorb an entire other company as a subsidiary and lack functional compatibility but it is what it is. 

Compatibility and funds access via WalMart MoneyCenter is also more miss than hit. I think it worked one time out of six attempts, and that was before the pandemic. Functionality has only gotten worse.

My debit card doesn't expire until 2026 and has been kept in the same place the entire time I've had it, if it was magnetized somehow it was at a POS system.

The first two transactions "of issue" allowed me to chip/fail/swipe, but since then my card is unusable. The issue began before I left state, I was able to pull cash from an ATM in the other state, and since returning have had no success. I saw no security flags or messages in app or email. I was hoping someone who could view my account could tell me whether fraud detection auto-locked my card, but I guess I'll never know...

After multiple failed attempts to reach customer service over the phone, in the app, and online; I finally cancelled the card and ordered a new one on my own before I reached anybody, but at both cost to my time and dime. The call confirmed I had no expedited shipping option for the card I ordered, have no other options for obtaining my money (whether the new card works or not), and will be on my own trying to close the account.

And because I know exactly how corporate customer service works, I will say this as clear as I can to avoid confusion: I am not displeased with the representatives, I am disappointed and beyond frustrated with how this company continues to play with our money.

This all happened in the middle of trying to move money to pay bills, quite frankly after this experience (and in 10 days when I finally receive the card) will be closing my account. There are direct deposit cards that are not only FDIC backed but coherently functional; I only switched to PayPal from those for better online purchase protection (also dysfunctional) and considering the issues I've been having simply accessing my account any time (let alone when there's a serious issue), isn't worth it. I will **bleep** my future online purchases with discretion before I consider keeping this account, because at least there's a process of accountability and problem solving.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.